Your opinion

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD5RUG, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. wb6bcn

wb6bcn Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading the previous post of those that had success there may be a common thread.
    I have a couple friends that have had them in place for an eternity, On the other hand like Glen, myself, and other post I have read, they don't stay on.
    The two I know of have flat glass winhows. One is on a Jeep, the other is on a pickup. As this post:</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">At the risk of sounding different, I've used a dual band glass mount for 2 years on my F 150 pickup[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> A pickup probably with a flat glass.
    May or may not be the answer, but the only ones I know that have lasted a long time were on a flat glass. [​IMG]

2. K3SAM

K3SAM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the many years of installing commercial radios, I had many requests for on glass antennas.  At first I tried them, about the first 5 fell off, a good indication of things to come.  I replaced those 5 with 3/8 hole mounted Motorola antennas, and returned all of the &quot;on glass&quot; antennas for credit.

After 20 years, some of the construction vehicles that I put the Motorola roof top mounted antennas on are still in service with the original Motorola antenna.

Talk about rugged, Motorola put out the Spectrum antenna that was made of the tapered copper/nickel chrome plated whip, adaptor, heavy duty spring, rugged loading coil and housing, and thick gasket.  I don't know if it is still in production but what a workhorse !

I drove a 1986 Nissan 300zx, brand new, and drilled a hole right behind the T-Top the first day I had it for my commercial / amateur VHF radio.  As the car dealer told me, a hole in the top of any car DOES NOT lower the value during it's trade in.  I could hit all of the repeaters while talking to all of the police/fire departments as well as the 911 center from just about anywhere.  My truck had the basic same set up with the hole on the top of the cab.  The radios were 96 channel Fujitsu Ten 144-170 Mhz Commercial VHF made in Torrence, CA.  They are no longer in business however I still have one in mint condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.