Your opinion

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD5RUG, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KD5RUG

KD5RUG Ham Member QRZ Page

What is your opinion on a window mount 2 meter antenna (or maybe a dual band). I have just got a 97 Camaro and I dont want to drill holes but I want to put my ham radio in it, so I'm left with maybe a window mount antenna I will have to use.
    Your thoughts on this is appreciated, thanks. [​IMG]  [​IMG]

*If you have a 97 (or newer camaro) and an antenna on it I would like to know what you used and how its on there.*

** any suggestions on mounts welcomed to*
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The first, and last, glass mount 2 meter antenna that I used is lying somewhere between Richardson and downtown Dallas, Texas, on Central Expressway! Larsen did replace it for free, but I returned the entire assembly to the distributor for credit!

The performance of these antennas is marginal. They work, but no where as near as well as a permanently mounted, or even a magnetic mount, antenna on 2 meters and 440 MHz. The problem is that they do not always adhere to the glass that well. Also, tinting on the windows affects the performance of some models.

Glen, K9STH

3. KB9YKY

KB9YKY Banned QRZ Page

Put the antenna where it belongs, in the center of the roof, with a permanent hole mount. If you don't want to do the drilling, take it to a automobile repair facility or to an authorized land mobile radio franchise. Do it right and forget the glue, clips, clamps, or magnets.

4. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

You bought the car to use, right? Cars don't make good investments, so the hole you drill can only make your car more useful to you.

Good luck,

Chris

5. wb6bcn

wb6bcn Ham Member QRZ Page

Just like STH,  somewhere within a 30 mile radius of my QTH lies a glass mount antenna.  I do not reccomend them. Mine held on solid for about four or five months,  then without any sign of loosening up,  leaving for work one day,  it was on when I left the house.  When I got to work it wasn't.  
    Without drilling holes you can use a trunk lip mount or a mag mount.  I opted for a mag mount ¼ wave at 2 meters.  It also works fine for 70 cm if you cut it for minimum SWR at 147 MHz.
    To cut or not to cut,  the decission is yours.

6. KG4KTB

KG4KTB Ham Member QRZ Page

At the risk of sounding different, I've used a dual band glass mount for 2 years on my F 150 pickup. I mounted it in the center of the window below the shading on the glass and have had no problems. I did let the adhesive cure a full 24 hours before mounting the whip, but it sustains interstate speeds every day. Good luck.
    Perry
    KG4KTB

7. N5LRZ

N5LRZ Banned QRZ Page

You could construct a loop antenna for your primary band and tape it to the rear window provided the rear window does not have defrost wires in the glass or certain kinds of tinting.

8. N0XAS

N0XAS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a Larsen KG-2/70 dual band glass mount.  Worked great, I was very happy with the performance, but it simply would not stay on the window.  One fell off at highway speed and was run over by an 18-wheeler (I watched in the rear view).  Larsen sent a replacement, I put it on and it lasted about 3-4 months before it fell off too.  Gave up and got a mag mount.  I suspect glass mounts might work a lot better mounted on side glass on a pickup, van or SUV.

I would recommend a Diamond trunk mount.  I have a '98 Mustang and use a Diamond K400 mount with an NR-770HA antenna, and have been pretty happy with that combination.  If the edge of your hatch is something you can clamp to, you can find a suitable mount that will adjust to get your antenna vertical.

Personally, I would never even consider for a moment drilling a hole in the roof of the car for any reason.  Not even my wife's car or a Chevy.  [​IMG]  Just take a look at the trunk mounts available, I know you can find one that will work for you.  My only other advice would be to avoid Comet mounts and whips, I've had both and the quality was pretty poor - that's why I bought Diamond this time around.

Dale

9. K3UD

K3UD Guest

Attempted to use the Larson dual band window mount antenna on a GM minivan. My rubber duck on the handi worked better. An inquiry to Larson brought me a quick response and a discussion about "passivated glass" which some vehicle manufacturers use. It seems that mounting on passivated glass turns the antenna into an air cooled dummy load. Larson was good about getting AES to take the antenna as a return item an give me a refund. I agree with those who recommend mounting on metal, either with a hole or with a magnent mount.

George
    K3UD

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One permanent type mount that does not require the 3/4 inch hole is the little "L" bracket that Larsen sells (nice chrome plated!). You mount this inside the body next to the trunk. It requires three 1/8 inch holes to be drilled, but they are hidden when the trunk is closed. When you get rid of the car, remove the sheet metal screws that are holding the bracket in place and either replace the screws or else use some silicon rubber to "plug" them. That is how my Larsen NMO-150K 2 meter antenna and my Larsen NMO-27K 10 meter antenna are mounted to my Mazda Protoge'. They work fine.

Since the car is white, when I trade it off I can use some bathroom type white colored RTV and you will have to look very close to tell anything was ever installed.

Even though the Larsen 10 meter antenna is loaded and has a negative 3 dB gain, I have worked over 200 countries using a Uniden HR-2510 with an effective radiated power of about 12 watts PEP. The 2 meter antenna works just as well.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.