Your opinion to learn CW the easiest pls

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4GHL, Apr 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the problems if you are starting off (I'm not suggesting you are!), if you are older is you loose the ability to move your fingers quickly. I started to learn to play a penny whistle in Ireland in my 50's and really couldn't manage to play faster reels and jigs. My fingers just wouldn't go fast enough even though I practiced a lot and for a few years.!

I think every commercial & military operator I met was taught first to write things down, and in capital letters. Everyone I knew could easily do this at 25wpm and clear enough so other people could read it. Clearly important if these were coded groups and some body else had to decrypt them!! But of course most of us were in our late teens or very early twenties.

I can still just about manage to write at 30wpm and probably quite scruffy writing at anything faster.

With a gap of 50 years between picking up a morse key again, when i became a ham, I can no longer send at 25wpm + on a straight key. I can only just manage 20wpm at a short sprint!!! Its a bummer getting older! :)

WA1GXC and W9RAC like this.
  2. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Learn code as a sound, e.g. "L" is "di-dah-di-dit, not "dot-dash-dot-dot."

3. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Dave I do not worry about having to write at 25 or send at 25 with any key since I can not copy that fast hi hi. My top copy is around 21 with very good code being heard. I head copy at around 20ish and may jot down notes or the like. I head copy best around 18/19. (low skilled OP here). I use the N3ZN/SN paddle a lot but do enjoy sending with my Vibroplex bug also. I am just getting back into the bug so I have is slowed down to around 16 ish so as not to punish the unfortunate chap on the receiving end too much. I have been working both, back and fourth in the effort to be able to make the transition more easily. If I were to send code at 21 ish with a straight key you would not make out any of it. My top speed these days with a straight key would probably be 7, maybe. 73 Rich

M6GYU likes this.