Your opinion to learn CW the easiest pls

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4GHL, Apr 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4GHL

K4GHL Ham Member QRZ Page

With a few millennia worth of knowledge floating around the electrons here, I'm sure SOMEONE has a really simple, easy way to learn CW.

I'm looking for some way to make it click in my brain. I listen to some, and I'm about 3 or 4 letters behind when my brain picks out the letter, and by then it's WAY past whatever else being said.

How about it yall? Any good ideas that work?

Thanks

K4GHL

KD4ZFS likes this.
  2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Guy gets into a taxi in NYC. His first time there, and he asks "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"

Cabbie says: "Practice..."

...and that's the short answer to your question.

KD1JT, WS9K, KD6CCP and 4 others like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Practice, practice, practice. Listen to the W1AW code sessions.
    Did I mention practice?

WN1MB and WB5YUZ like this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, We learn Morse Code, not CW. CW is only the mode, Morse code is the language.
    Forget doing it the easy way. It takes patience and hard work, two dirty words to many.

K0UO likes this.
  5. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

It takes time, consistency and dedication. It takes time to learn Morse Code and shove it into the part of the brain that makes comprehension a reaction and not conscious thought.

The end result is worth the effort. CW Ops Academy, Consoli method and getting basic skill and then getting experience on the air are all possible paths.

I agree totally with N8AFT. It is learning a language. Putting in the work and enjoying the trip is the path to success. It is worth studying and trying a few different methods to see which one resonates for you. My thinking is to find an enjoyable learning method, and then put in the work as an enjoyable pastime. The results will come after time.

It took me a few years to go from starting over to 25+ WPM. And many many hours of practice. It was not all that hard, just took a commitment to a daily practice regimen. I enjoy the practice, and am back into daily practice to help drive my abilities up to full contest speed. It never stops!

Jim
    KF9VV

K9CPO, KD4ZFS, K4GHL and 1 other person like this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you know the whole alphabet yet? If so, listen in on the slow speed broadcasts from W1AW, and live QSOs around 7050 and, occasionally, 7120 or so.

If you don't know the whole alphabet yet, the suggestion in #5 above is good; I would add LCWO, also.

As for me, I taught myself using a 33 1/3 RPM LP record. I went from zero to about five words per minute in six weeks. Getting to 15 WPM took six months. I think the primary reason for this rate of progress was on-air practice.

But lots of people make the mistake of sticking with the web and/or apps too long. As soon as you can do 5 WPM, start listening to real QSOs, then get on the air. It seems like people who try to learn using only the web or apps, so they can just suddenly appear on the air fluent at 20 WPM or more, get stuck and it takes them quite a bit longer to learn than it used to take us, using records.

W5ESE, N8TGQ, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  7. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Learning anything for most human beings who are not brain-damaged is automatic.
    Unlike computers, humans do not need to be taught how to learn.

You learned how to speak English. What simple, easy way of learning did you use?

When you are a young human being learning how to speak your native language you listen
    a lot. You observe. You imitate sounds. Learning how to speak is very exciting when you are
    small. It is powerful. It is fun.

Same principles apply to learning anything at any age: focus because the learning is important.
    Give it time. Listen to it often. When you see a printed letter or a sign, make the sound in your head.
    "Exit." Think dit, dah di di dah, di dit, dah. Like you did with words when you were a kid.

People learn easiest in social situations. They learn quickly when they are relaxed and having fun.
    They learn when they get positive feedback.

Thus the best way to learn Morse Code is with someone else or in a class. If you are good at learning,
    if you went to college and graduate school and got straight As, then you know what focus is. You know
    that learning is easier and quicker when you are fresh, relaxed and not distracted.

Learning Morse Code is easy. Millions of people have done it without thinking twice. In fact the
    more you think about it the harder it is to learn it.

Just do it.

K0UO, N8AFT, W4NNF and 1 other person like this.
  8. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll keep it short -- Please don't, don't get discouraged. The fact that your brain processes a letter a few

characters behind is actually a great sign that it's clicking with you. At really high speeds, that's exactly how

it's done properly. Stay with it. Even though you're frustrated now and think you're not making progress,

you totally are. One day soon you'll try it again at a speed that was un-doable, and it will work.

Gl, OM

K4GHL, M0KBO and KD4ZFS like this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think there's a big difference, though. Kids learn to understand the language first, not letter by letter, but by the sound of complete words and phrases. They learn to speak the language a bit later, but still well before knowing how to read, write, or think about the letters that form those words.

I always tried to teach Morse code the same way: Don't think about dits and dahs, and surely don't count them! Each letter has its own identifiable rhythm, like a "word," and just listen to that. Learning the letters before numerals and punctuation, there's only 26 such rhythms to learn. 26. Not very many. Adding numerals and common punctuations and symbols, there's about 42. Still not many.

Forget dits and dahs. Listen to the rhythms.

And I sure agree once you know most or all the alphabet, get on the air and make contacts to use it. You'll miss stuff, and maybe not send great either at first, but it all gets better and there's still no cash prize for solid copy. Also no cash prize for completed contacts. If you lose a contact entirely for whatever reason, that's the way it goes. No penalties.:)

K4GHL and KD4ZFS like this.
  10. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i learned the code by sending and hearing it. as i got faster sending i copied faster.
    im not a cw op but i still love sending..to myself.
    so i turn the bencher around, for fun...
    then try left handed...make it fun, not hard work !!!
    just have fun, learn a few at a time, then mix it up...
    ill prob never do pun chew aye shun !!

K0UO and K4GHL like this.