ad: Schulman-1

Your Opinion On Soldering Irons Or Guns

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB9SDS, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like others have said, a soldering station with temperature control for most soldering. And a larger gun for heavier soldering tasks.

That's a sign that the heating element is shot, or otherwise the soldering iron is under-powered for what you're trying to do with it.

Home Depot carries Weller pencil irons and guns. A proper soldering station, you'll probably have to order.

I have a Hakko 936. That's a discontinued model, though. I don't know what the present equivalent is. And a Weller gun, 150 watts. An old one I've had for decades.

2. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

My first year at Dayton (1993), I bought a Weller iron "under the tent" in the flea market area. Brand new in the box, it was one of the "new ESD" type irons with a grounded tip (the unit is chocolate brown instead of sky blue). It has a digital readout and fully adjustable temperature (with a SET/READ button). The guy had 6 or 8 of them, and wanted $150 for it. I offered him $120, and he took it. :cool:

When I came back around later in the afternoon, they were all gone.

I still have it, and it works great.

I do have a Weller gun for higher heat, but darn thing is so heavy, I never use it.

Another year at Dayton, I bought a brand new spade type iron in the flea market, that plugs directly into 120V. Since they have no heat control on them, I mounted a holder on top of a Bud box. I also added a 120V outlet that is wired to a dimmer switch with a nice pointer. I even added a small light that the intensity varies with the percentage of power. It's crude, but it works great.

3. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^ *****^^^

Five star advice.

I would go even further. I've used some fine Weller soldering systems, and some inferior Weller soldering systems over the years. My Hakko is as good as any Weller I've used. I didn't buy the Hakko for a better price--I didn't know they had better pricing than Weller. I bought the Hakko based on written reviews and verbal recommendations, which turned out to be well founded.

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It does work. And, it works better than plain propane. But, sadly, it's not as nice as MAPP.

I always use a torch to light the grill. It gets lots of attention at the ballpark! :cool:

5. VE3KUT

VE3KUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Weller at home & work & a Hakko at work. Both are great, but my personal pref is the Weller - Just feels nicer in the hand. The Hakko has a smaller grip & I find that it's just a bit more awkward to hold. Does the job just as good though & having almost no feeling in my right hand's "pencil grip" fingers, well, it's likely just me..:) Yea, I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself with the feeling part, but somehow it does...

6. K5UOS

K5UOS Ham Member QRZ Page

I used Radio Shack 40W irons for years. My projects included several solid state transceivers and a complete 50W tube station. Generally the RS iron worked well but I replaced many tips.

Last year I started a DDS VFO project and bought a medium priced Weller with adjustable temperature.

The Weller tips seem to last much longer. The plastic housing on the Weller station seems a bit cheap but really no issues.
    Almost everything is plastic these days.

Since Radio Shack is risky for someone needing replacement parts I suggest Weller.

K5UOS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.