ad: DukeCity-1

Your opinion as to why we are seeing an influx of IC-7300 for sale

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG0MN, May 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, then at least we agree on that. I just thought it was cutesy picture that I made in paint.net. I'd actually like to mock-up a photo of a 7300 and a 9700 side by side in a custom enclosure like the one I posted. I'd have done that but it wouldn't have fit this thread. Peace.

2. N2NH

N2NH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if Icom has the same problem with the 7610? If (and that's a very big improbable if) I bought one, it would have to work with another HF radio as my YL is getting her General.

Anyone have an answer to that question? Does the 7610 play well with other HF radios around?

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are plenty of instances where users had great results with the IC-7300 in field day and SO2R configurations, you have to know how to correctly set it up is all. The all knobs to the right CB approach just won't work with that radio. You should get a Flex 6600M, word is that without hardware mods it's so deaf it can sit next to a VOA transmitter without any trouble.

N2NH likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect that since the 7300 is now several years old, hams that have to have the "bestest, newest" radio are getting rid of their 7300.

5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

My 7410 is very dependent on correctly setting the knobs for the best performance.
    Hams seem to always reference CB radio and I suppose they always will, even though it's been dead for decades and the majority of younger hAms (40 and younger) never have used a CB mic. It's much like Don Quixote tilting at imaginary windmills. TV and movies hold far more blame.

WZ7U likes this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sorry Billy, was you one o them CBers? :D Just kidding but your point about properly adjusting the rig for best performance is true. Unfortunately a lot of hams just don't get that.

7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I will admit to a cb in my fishing boat. It's what the local fishermen and guides used. Then cell phones came out and cb was dead on the river. I had a couple of frs radios later, one in the boat and one in the truck. Used it for backing the trailer in, I power loaded my boat back then.

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7300 went on sale NEW for under $1,000 recently.

Me thinks ICOM is coming out with a new reciever, or an A-model type update to the 7300, soon.

I am also the owner of both the Yaesu FT-891 and the Icom 7300. I've written about it, and it can be found at the link in my signature.

Short story -- the FT-891 began costing half that of the 7300 -- and now the 7300 has dropped below $1,000 dollars. Let's start there.

Next, the 7300 deserves its accolades for receiver performance. It is really sensitive, and I love it when the band is quiet enough that I can unlock the AGC and boost the signal. It's fabulous beyond its means, at that point.

BUT the area where it falls flat is at the front end, in the city. The front end leaves something to be desired. It does have a very good NB, but the NR is poor for SSB.

I am not a CW op, so I cannot comment there, but for SSB, the NR is borderline useless.

Next, I find the 7300 is really great at blocking car ignition, for example, but it couldn't hold a candle to my former Elecraft KX2 in terms of hearing signals through noise. It's all about the front end. The 7300 is an open barn door. Adjusting the RX bandwidth in the menus does help some. Some.

With the FT-891, the front end is ok for the money, however, the NR is amazing. It's the closest thing to a simple push-button remedy for "just removing city noise" that I have ever encountered -- and it's on a radio for under $650. The RX bandwidth can also be adjusted in the menus (try it -- works great). The radio is not as sensitive as the 7300, BUT I think we've reached a point where sensitivity is high on pretty much all new radios. The FT-891 wipes the 7300's bum 5 days a week, and twice on the weekend, in terms of NR. It's such a lambasting in this area, it's an embarrassment for Icom.

Icom can brag Sherwood statistics all day long, but where the half-as-expensive FT-891 beats it is in NR usability. I can fiddle for a long time with the Twin PBT of the 7300, adjust RX bandwidth in the menus, utilize the RF Gain -- it is a nice radio. But with the FT-891, I can just push the NR button, setting it on 1 (sometimes 3 and 9 are useful) and I've cleaned-up the signal so much more easily.

And I'm not even going to get into the disgust I have with the 7300's low average power output.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    ND6M likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

In case nobody mentioned this already.....

There are some hams who simply have to have the newest "hot thing", even if they already have something better. Doesn't matter if they can afford it, or even if they will use it, they just have to have one. They're all fired up by the hype. They get it home, unwrap it, try it out.....and then it just sits.

I recall a ham who got an IC-7300 when they first came out, despite having a much better rig already, and constantly crying the blues about not having any money. Used it for a short time, bragged about having one.....now it just sits.

Odd.