Your opinion as to why we are seeing an influx of IC-7300 for sale

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG0MN, May 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a used 7300 off this site and replaced the FT-891 I bought as my first rig. Within 2 weeks, I had contacted 15 countries on FT8 that I hadn't even heard on the FT-891. I've even started doing SSB because it's such a joy on this rig.

I'm always poking the touchscreen too. The menus are a lot smaller than the Yaesu menus. Most things are a button away...or a button then a couple of taps. I don't have to hunt.

A lot of people are upgrading to the 7610 yes... I think a lot of people just got caught up in the hype without actually wanting a new main rig..

But, it makes the market pretty awesome for guys like me. I would have never paid $1300 for a radio, but $850 I could handle

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you didn't have the Rx on the 891 adjusted .
    The 891 has a much better receiver than a 7300.

3. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Hahaha. I know the numbers seldom tell the whole story, but in this case, it's true they're not even in the same class. What you see when you check the Sherwood Engineering numbers or the ARRL reviews is definitely what I can attest to: the 7300 is a top notch receiver and the 891 is an ok one.

K7JOE and WA4BCS like this.
  4. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I stopped back in to add this:

With the FT-891 and my homemade 80-40-20-17-10 dipole (center at 35 feet and ends at 15 feet) I was stuck at 79 countries. I just couldn't see any others and the ones I could see couldn't hear me. On 4/20, the 7300 was delivered to my house. I just finished my contact with my 113th country.

5. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, you didn't ask for advised. However, you did open yourself up for comment. We like to interact on message boards. It's part of the fun and appeal.

K1OIK and ND6M like this.
  6. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interaction is fine. I just don't like people putting words in my mouth. I never said that two 7300s were equal to one 7610. Statements beginning with "if I were you. . ." come across to me as unsolicited advice.

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ummmmm.....

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The FT-891 receiver is good but I don't think it is quite as good as the IC-7300. The FT-891 also has a very dirty transmitter (ARRL said worst they have seen) and is not well suited to digital modes, it was intended to be primarily a mobile radio. For every day amateur radio, especially digital modes, I would pick the IC-7300 hands down over the FT-891.

9. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I stand by that. Two radios when purchased on the used market for about half the price of a new 7610. Is that statement untrue?

10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

no.