Your help on the "Do's" and "Do Not's" on the Yaesu FT-8800R...

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by ZL1VSF, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. ZL1VSF

ZL1VSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Just yesterday, I was in a mood to re-arrange a few radio's and went to move FT-8800 and just as I went to pull out the mic plug, I kind of jumped back and thought "Uh-uh, don't do that..!!".. I suddenly recalled reading somewhere not to remove the mic while the set was on - I think.. Actually, while I'm at it, I recall reading a few things like that about this radio.. I can't think of what they are just at the minute but maybe you guys might be able to add a few "known's" about it. This time I'll copy them to a file and keep the list,, maybe print it out, if there is one...

I've only be used to doing what has to be done without worrying about things like the above. Maybe radios have changed in the past few years...

Cheers...
    Al

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DON'T transmit unless there is a proper antenna or dummy load connected -- you could blow the finals.

DO know how to turn the WIRES(tm) feature off, and how to recognize if it's turned on. See page 50 of the manual, but briefly, it's toggled on and off via pushing the left VOL knob. When it's on, the "int" icon will appear on the display. The WIRES feature will cause a DTMF tone to be transmitted at the start of each transmission, annoying listeners. I understand there are situations where this tone can be useful on certain repeaters, but I have not encountered such a situation. I have, however, heard many operators accidentally activate the WIRES tone. If you do have a use for WIRES, at least know how to turn it on and off appropriately.

DON'T use the cross-band repeat capability without requiring a tone or DCS code squelch on the UHF side. And if you do use cross-band repeat, monitor the repeater output, and be able to quickly turn off your cross-band repeater if things go haywire. Cross-band repeat can be a very useful tool, but improper use of it can jam up a repeater system and earn you the wrath of the repeater owner.

3. ZL1VSF

ZL1VSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Had an instance with WIRES a few days ago, now you mention it.. Was not paying attention to the radio when I replied to a call, picked up mic, realized I was on the wrong side for 'MAIN' (was on right side - needed to be on left side), so I went to change sides but pressed something and then it began tx'ing tones,, obviously wasn't the left upper knob. I had to use another radio to chat on because I didn't know what the heck I had done to the 8800. Eventually I turned off the tone, somehow, but until actually I found out what it was, I was in the dark about this tone thing.

That's what led me to ask - what to, and what not to do/use,, but more in the settings etc...

Cheers... Al..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.