ad: chuckmartin

Your Help Is Needed

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC0DMH, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

The club was entered, but the update in the repeater directory wasn't.

W7VHY 146.960 - (ca) 103.5 required at times Seattle WA..

2. KC0DMH

KC0DMH Ham Member QRZ Page

All updates received to date have been made. Thank you to everyone for their help & suggestions! We really appreciate it!

Ham-Shack.com

3. W2XQ

W2XQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm. I don't understand the need for creating a nationwide repeater list when one has the regional frequency coordinating councils' datafiles (e.g., w2xq.com : Ham Radio Links) available for the click of a mouse. It seems like extra work for no payback. Data collection is a thankless task and the error rate is high. And there is already a nationwide collection by Artsci Publications with online editing capabilities. The Artsci document has been around for decades; there are still many errors and omissions. I count at least six area compilations covering New York City to Delaware. These days the active ham can post an entire regional database into these 1000-plus memory transceivers and be done with the need to look up stuff in paper or on line. Oh, yea, the ARRL publishes the national data in teeny-tiny type, too small for me to read, in an overpriced teeny-tiny little book that has only a half-dozen pages of possible interest to me. Those editors don't get it right either. In my opinion, a working relationship with the area frequency coordinating council to publish the data (and timely updates) in various ways would be the best way to enjoy useful information. A simple export to some common file standards would let the end user sort and filter the listings as wants and needs dictate. Just some ideas and comments for the group's thinking.
     [​IMG]

4. KD4DLL

KD4DLL Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with Wx2Q statement. I checked my area and most of the information is incorrect and much info is missing. I have no clue where the information is coming from and I suspect that is the problem.
    I also think that if you are relying on HAMs that see this thread on QRZ or just happen across your web site, for your update process, than this process probably will not work.

Number 1, you would need a HAM in every area to visit QRZ or your site. Number 2, that HAM would have to be willing to update your site with all changes in their area. This just ain't gonna happen.

Information is only as good as the source. Accurate information is very important to me. I see many errors already. If the info is wrong, then it should not be there in the first place. I have no confidence in the information that is in your database.

I respect what you are doing here and compliment you on making it happen. I just see that there is a major flaw in the process. If I am wrong, please set me straight since I am just going on assumption.

5. VE4MGR

VE4MGR QRZ Member QRZ Page

Hello , My name is Ron, [ ve4mgr ] in Winnipeg MB Canada. On each and every Wednesday evening @ 2000 hrs i host the Manitoba IRLP NET held on the Western Reflector,# 9250 which is in Las Vegas Nevada. Come join us ,have some fun,this is an open friendly net. Hope to see you there, 73, Ron, ve4mgr.

6. WY0X

WY0X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not only is your work far from complete, I'd love to know where you got your Colorado frequency information. Much of it is inaccurate or old.

There are no currently publicly published Colorado frequency lists that aren't Copyrighted by various folks, so it sure appears that you copied Copyrighted information from someone without permission.

Just curious -- are your sources legit or did you just steal all the seed data from someone else?

7. KG4UKF

KG4UKF Ham Member QRZ Page

on the 444.500 kd4gmh repeater system in manchester ky, i forgot to mention that it has a + offset. sorry for forgetting to mention that before.

kg4ukf/ chris in manchester ky

8. KC0DMH

Our database has and will always only contain user-submitted information. We know a lot of the information is old - that is why we posted on QRZ asking for updates.

We are thankful to everyone for helping us update and maintain our directories! We are also thankful for the positive comments/support we have received from so many of you!

Ham-Shack.com

9. KC0DMH

Please send us the updates and corrections for the repeaters in your area. We would really appreciate your support rather than your criticism. Thank you!

Ham-Shack.com

10. KC0DMH

Thank you Chris for your update!

Ham-Shack.com

11. KD4DLL

KD4DLL Ham Member QRZ Page

springfield IL updates
    Springfield 146.6850 WA9KRL 94.8
    Springfield 147.3150 W9HJA 151.4
    Springfield 147.3750 WA9KRL 110.9
    Springfield 443.3750 WA9KRL 94.8
    Springfield 444.1000 K9PLR
    Springfield 444.4000 K9CZ 103.5
    Springfield 444.5000 N9EUO 103.5
    Springfield 444.6000 WS9V 88.5
    Tallula 442.6750 K9KGO 151.4
    Tallula 444.9000 K9KGO 151.4

I will help you out with data in my area as you asked, but I will not use your database. I still have no confidence in the information that is in your database. How do I know that what I am looking at is "old outdated" data or is it "new updated" data?
    Information on the internet is there for anyone to access. As time goes on I see that I have to question the integrity of anything and everything that I search on. This gets worst every year.
    Get it right the first time! If your are going to put it out there for others to use, be sure it is correct and true.

Actually one of the def of criticism is "a critical observation or remark" It's a bummer that you are not open to these remarks.

12. KG6YTZ

KG6YTZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Southern California:
    146.700- [146.2 tone] KB5TJJ Sunset Ridge
    147.210+ [77.0 tone] K6JSI Sunset Ridge "WIN System"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.