Your First Contact.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB3SOJ, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KB3SOJ

KB3SOJ Ham Member

I've had my Technician class license for around a month now, but I had never had any rigs or handhelds of my own to use. It wasn't until just recently that our physics teacher had given out an assignment that involved us making contacts.

I don't know what it is that's preventing me from hitting the transmit button on the handheld he gave us and sending out CQs, but for some reason every time I am going to attempt to talk, I freeze. I'm just simply unable to get the...courage if you will, to get out there and talk to people.

So my question to you guys is this: How did you guys manage to do it? Was it just natural to you guys, or did you practice in some way?

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

A warm welcome and please accept my congratulations on passing the test!

I understand what you are going through. What is happening to you has also happened to each and every one of us who started in amateur radio. So you are not alone by any stretch of the imagination.

I remember when making my very first contact. Would you believe I was actually breaking out in a sweat? :) Seems silly now, but it sure didn't seem that way at the time...

I found the best way to start out is to just get on and immediately "tell" people that you just got your license and this is your very first contact using amateur radio.

I am sure once you tell them this, you will find out they will immediately roll the royal red carpet out just for you and you will feel right at home my friend.

My best and welcome aboard.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  3. KC9OKV

KC9OKV Ham Member QRZ Page

And why did you have to make contacts for physics? As for my first contact i went over to my friends house. And i was nervous but i just said my call sign and called for someone to respond i was nervous the whole time but afterwords I felt great. Just say your call sign and talk to someone you will feel good and making contacts will become easier.

4. K7SGJ

K7SGJ Ham Member QRZ Page

First Contact

Welcome, and well done on the test. The anticipation of the first contact can be nerve racking. It is like the day before an operation, or the first day at the new school. I think it is just all the build up to the actual event. Looking beck, when it has come and gone, you will likely think, no sweat. What was I so nervous about. My first contact was using my homebrew 6L6 transmiteer and an RME 84. A really really really old receiver from the 1940s. The thing that made the first contact easier for me is that is was to my ELMER. You may want to talk to yours or with a good friend, or maybe someone you know from the club. If it is on a repeater, you will probably have others join in to wish you welcome to ham radio, too. Take a deep breath and jump on in. I guarantee you will love it.
    Good luck.
    eddie

5. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Who was this friend?:D:D:D

6. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

Congrats, but my first contact was with W0LFH on cw (all we could use). Since I'd already met the guy (10 mi away) and just wanted to see if my rig was working, it wasn't very scary. But my second contact! Called CQ and a KN0??? came back. I went " OH SHEEEP.."

Luckily, my Elmer had made up a few cards with the "exchange", so I just sent what was in front of me, but it was about the scariest experience of my life! About a year later, General in hand, I made my first phone contact, and went through the same thing all over again. (That was about 48 years ago!) And again when I made my first repeater contact and had mike problems and somebnody came back and wanted to know what the emergency was about (I had said Break, the rig didn't key, I thought, so I repeated).

We've all been there and have the scars to prove it. But I've always enjoyed being other guys' first QSO. remember one guy who wanted me to make the first contact from his station, after I'd showed him how to tune up his rig. After making sure his rig was OK, I went home and worked him from there. I was about 25 and he was about 70. In mid QSO, the phone rang - it was the other guy gushing that he'd actually done it! Same deal when I first went to Court. Same deal about 15 years ago when I made my first SSTV contact.

Hence, my advice is "Just Do IT". Most of us don't bite, and after the first few, it gets easier and easier. Despite what you read here on Zed, most of us will try to be helpful!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
  7. KC9OKV

KC9OKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think his call sign was KC9OTP:D

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had been "listening" to ham radio for about a year before I got my license (a Novice, 44 years ago now!) and because I'd listened so long, I knew what contacts sounded like. I was only 13 and my voice was changing, but it didn't matter much since all my initial contacts were CW anyway and CW is the great "equalizer."

The day my license arrived in the mail, my station (meager as it was) was fully ready to go, and I was on the air and made my first contact about three minutes after getting home from school (8th grade) that day in April, 1965.

I did not call CQ, I found someone else calling CQ and answered him. I was a few kHz off frequency because in those days Novices could only use crystal control, and I had exactly five crystals (frequencies I could operate); however in those days, guys "tuned around" after calling CQ, so I snagged my first contact pretty easily.

Then I called up the guy who administered the Novice test to me (W2NVA, who became W2NR later) on the phone, told him my new callsign, and made a "sked" to work him on 40m CW. We connected easily, and he was my second contact.

I think that "first day" I made about twenty contacts, as I was in my parents' basement "ham shack" for several hours. I had a year of pent-up QSOs in me, and could now finally start making them. It was fabulous.

I thank my lucky stars that the Novice class license existed, and it was "CW only" privileges (except for a little slice of two meter AM phone which was also allowed, but I had no gear for that). That was the "learning school" for all new hams in those days, and it worked perfectly.

WB2WIK/6

9. KC9OTP

KC9OTP Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had the same situation I just got my license 2 months ago and dont have a radio yet. i just made my first contact last weekend i was kind of nervous but after i talked for a bit i felt fine

10. KC2UYZ

KC2UYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got my tech and I used CW (machine code though) to make the first two. Pretty neat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.