ad: cq2k-1

Your favorite things about the bands

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC0ZOS, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
  1. 2E0RPS

2E0RPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been in similar situation when i started few years ago. Beside the few local simplex QSO's I remember listening with a feeling of discourage to the endless abuse on various repeaters.

Since i began operating on the HF bands i discovered the real stuff and met many experienced Hams (also in person), learned alot about Geography. weather , Propagation, antennas etc

If i could choose i would operate on 160m late at night as i like the noisy and challenge in establishing a QSO, unfortunately i don't have the space for an antenna to cover that band. i'ts just a matter of time :)

2. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I to love to work all bands from 160-6m right now you will only see a few 6m openings and most are short NA. I will work 15-160 on daily basis with favorites of 17 and 40. I work 160 and 80 in the early mornings starting a 3am local time then change bands as conditions change I love to work the grayline. AS antennas change so does your favorite bands my beam covers all bands 10-40m and a mono band 6m also 2m 26B2. To many wires to write about. But if you can get only one antenna up let it be for 20 m day time or 40m night.

Good luck and welcome back to the hobby.

3. KC0ZOS

KC0ZOS Ham Member QRZ Page

You`ve all given me alot to think about.
    I like to DX, at least on 11 meters. Havent had the chance on any other band. I have talked to Alaska, Hounduras and Sao Paulo Brazil multiple times on only 5 watts on 11 meters back when the cycle was at peak with only an 5/8 wave antenna. This is why I want to talk DX on the ham bands. I am in no way "good" or "expereanced" at it, just want the ability to talk worldwide when the conditions are there.
    Yes I had my start at 2 meters. Thats good if you like to talk local.
    But I doubt I have room for a beam at my residence. So for now I would need a multiple band omni and hopefully be able to get out with that once in a while.
    But for the most part it seems like 20, 40 and 80 meters is where most of you have fun at. I will look into these bands more intensely.
    Thanks all. Id love to hear more opinions if ya got em.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

In my 48 years on the air I have been on all bands from 160M thru 70cM. I started on CW, Tried AM fone, SSB fone and FM fone. Even made a few contacts on 2M packet with a computer.
    I have come back to CW for most of my HF contacts on 160-20M and my only FM fone is on 70 CM in the 40 mile drive to work and back. I like UHF because it is nothing like what 2M had become in the last decade. I run into old friends I met many years ago there.
    160M is a good night time band, very limited distance in daylight, in winter is fairly noise free, summer is bad with lightning storm noise. Winter nights you can work all north america and some DX there, only gets crowded on a few contest weekends a few times a year. The down side is antenna size. a halfwave dipole is 250 ft end to end and much smaller antennas do not perform well.
    80M is more crowded than 160 but similar distances can be worked. Also noisy in summer from lightning storms and quieter in winter. At night you can work coast to coast and some DX if you put up a big vertical antenna.
    40 is good day and night all year round. It is easier to work some DX on 40M.
    30 is a better band for DX day or night but half the band is set aside for DIGI modes. This band is limited to 200 W max output but is great for QRP operating.
    20 Is the most likely band for DX, there is a lot of high power operating with big antennas so average stations are at the bottom of the pile ups when rare countries come on the air.
    I have heard some good DX on 17M and worked a few Europeans with a 4 watt QRP rig.
    I still have not built a real antenna for 17M so have not had much experience here.
    15 M sometimes opens briefly and very good DX signals can be heard and worked.There is little closer skip or local regional propagation. The antennas for this band are not very large and therefore easy to put up.
    12 M and 10 M are about the same as 15M, You also get more E-layer skip on the highest two HF frequency bands where in spring and autumn seasons you get brief openings to places from 500 to 1500 miles away every year without regard to sunspot counts. These openings give amazing signal strengths and are fun to work.
    6M is a band that has some of the characteristics of HF and some of VHF. I spent some time on 6 in the late 60's to early 70's There is great DX to be found in the high sunspot years and e-layer skip each spring and autumn like 10M. There are a group of hams who concentrate on 6M and can predict when the band will open and have impressive results.
    My observations are all from a CW operators point of view.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  5. KC2TAU

KC2TAU Ham Member QRZ Page

Right now if you can stay up late enough for it 80 meters quiets down significantly late at night(past 11PM EST)and DX from Europe rolls in loudly.

20 meters from where I am is good in the morning if you're prepared to wake up early for it. The band is usually quite quiet and makes for good QSO'ing if the QSB isn't around.

6. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great summary! And to show the incredible range of Amateur modes you didn't even talk about PSK, satellite, or many other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.