Your favorite things about the bands

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC0ZOS, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC0ZOS

KC0ZOS Ham Member QRZ Page

I`m kinda new to ham radio. I have a General Licence. Have had it for 3 years. Bought equipment when I started. Only used 2 meter for the year, bought a HF rig, but never bought an antenna for it.
    Long story short, I sold all my equipment to build a pc.
    Now I`m regretting doing this and want back into the hobby.
    Seeing that I only used 2 meter for this short time, can anyone tell me their favorite things about any band they like to use. Could be anything like being able to DX or the band not needing much in the way of propagation to DX.
    I have DX`ed on 11 meters and looking forward to do so in the amateur bands.

2. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

It isn't 2 meters. :D

Seriously, VHF/UHF and repeaters are nice for many things, but you didn't experience worldwide radio.

HF from 160-10M is a playground with many rewards. I have no favorites, as they are all full of fun and surprises. Right now, above 20M is not very active most of the time. Even 20M is marginal. 6 years from now, working the other side of the planet will be easy on 10M using 5 watts.

Get another HF rig, and build a wire dipole antenna for 40M, and go from there. 40M is pretty active, and will keep you plenty busy.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The DX bands at this time of year and this point in the sunspot cycle are mostly 80m, 40m, 30m, 20m and a little bit 17m (only during the daytime).

The lower bands like 80 and 40 are open mostly at night. 30m is CW and digital only, no voice modes, but is open quite a bit both daytime and into the evening. 20m lately is open mostly during daylight hours, but sometimes much later (varies day to day). 17m is almost entirely a daytime band lately.

The "King DX" band has always been 20 meters, and still is.

If you had to choose just one band for "DXing," 20 meters would be it -- unless you can only operate at night, in which case 40 meters would be a better choice right now.

The antenna system is FAR more important than the "radio."

Have fun and welcome back!

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

20 meters and DXing. It is open a lot.
    40 meters and being mobile. Good "local" coverage.
    6 meters, SSB and CW. It is a lot of fun when there is an opening of any kind.

5. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

So you like to work DX ?

01/06 06:13 061200 2 -17 2.4 -245 3 * KC8VWM RK3FG KO86

What is that... 470,000 miles round trip or something?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with choosing a favorite is that there are soooo many bands (and modes) to choose from. Sometimes your circumstances dictate what you can realistically do. The best performing DX antennas for the lower HF bands get pretty big pretty fast. Folks with little space for big antennas might have to make-do with upper HF and VHF-UHF bands. Want to work VHF DX or EME? Again, we're talking about a pretty big array(s). On the other hand, local ragchewing doesn't take much, no matter the band. Some folks don't have much of an "antenna farm", and do guest-operator duty in contests at other hams' locations. Another way of getting around this problem is portable (i.e. Field Day) or mobile operation. FD is always a gas and it was a thrill to work into Europe (from the Pac NW) with 100W and a loaded whip antenna on the rear bumper... operating Morse!

Like many, I like HF for working relatively easy DX. It's possible, even when the sunspot gods aren't smiling upon us. Recently, I worked S. Africa long path (14.4K miles) on 20m when there were zero sunspots. Signals weren't real strong and, of course, we both were running yagis and kilowatt amplifiers.

When propagation is in, I prefer 15m over 20m... good antennas are a bit smaller, and there's more "elbow room" on the band. 15m tends to stay open longer than 10m. And, I've sometimes surprised myself with how well my somewhat low 80m and 40m wire antennas work. I've received many strong signal reports. Probably the coolest thing about HF is that, there's usually a band that's open for DX whenever you find time to get on the air. :D

The bottom line: so many bands, so little time! :D

73 es gud dx,
    Bryan WA7PRC

8. WM5Q

WM5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy lots of things. VHF-FM isn't really one of them. :)

20 meters and below, as noted, is where the action is right now. Sometimes 20 is (moderately) hopping; other days you wonder if the sun remembered to turn on.

I'm not a big ragchewer, or a big contester, or a big DXer. I'm in the casual-contester sort of category; I'll work a couple of hours in a contest for the fun of it. I like challenges, and right now I'm trying to finish up WAS, so in a contest I'm looking for the elusive last few states.

VHF SSB is fun too. One of my coworkers, a ham, recently moved about 125 miles away; we've had some fun experimenting with 2M SSB, CW, and PSK using low power and modest antennas.

9. K7WXO

K7WXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup I started out as a tech, played with 2m. Got very bored. I use 2m as a tool when volunteering for events, sometimes communicating mobile to mobile with my girlfriend, N7IFX.

But what I truly ENJOY is pretty much any of the HF bands, though I'd say my favorite is 20m. I just love hearing all the stations start pouring in when the band is opening, and even fading out when the band is closing. 10m is even more exciting (made half our field day contacts on 10m last year!) when open, and I haven't even gotten to work it during the peak.

I've tried some digital modes, but it's not my thing. I enjoy phone, and I'm sure when I get around to learning I'll love cw even more.

Oh yeah, I suppose the one thing I do have fun on 2m with is the satellites, they can be a fun change from the usual :)

Everyone has their thing I guess, but puttering around on the repeaters isn't much fun to me. 2m SSB could be fun though.

Bryan K7WXO

10. WS2L

WS2L Guest

My favorite band is 40 meters hands down with 80 meters following close behind. I mainly operate CW and PSK-31 and when my station is set up I generally operate from around 0900-1400 UTC starting off on 80 meters. Once 80 starts to shorten up I will generally head to 40 meters but once in a while I give 20 a shot.

40 is still my all-time favorite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.