ad: vanity

Your Favorite Software?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K0SDD, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K0SDD

K0SDD Guest

I am rebuilding a PC dedicated to my ham shack. I will likely load it with WinXP and Unbutu dual boot. It is a decent laptop with a second monitor. My sig line should show my current system, though I am working to expand QRP, DX, and satellite.

Can you share your top three or four favorite software tools?

Satellite trackers, propagation info, Log Books, screensavers, Antenna tools etc

Thanks for the feedback!

2. W4SUL

W4SUL Ham Member QRZ Page

XMLog
    Rdx Cluster
    Orbitron

All running on a dual boot Win 2000 / Ubuntu machine.

3. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember the Commodore Amiga???

I had a CW testing program, which was written by an Italian .. . it did simulated qso's, and had a virtual receiver that you could change bandwidth's on, like a Drake 2-B. Even had a little QRM going on in the background.

Back when that was the way code tests were administered -- a fictitious CW QSO, when you had to answer specific questions about the test . . .

Now nobody needs to know how . . .

Gary WA7KKP

4. KB3X

KB3X QRZ Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio Deluxe version 5.

It has rig control, rotor control, logging, and digital modes.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HRD is a great tool if you have a modern rig with a computer interface. I don't believe the TS-830S has that, so to use it you'd need to upgrade the rig.

I keep EZNEC and QY4 running almost all the time, as well as QRZ.com and eHam.net, so I can just click to open that window, or just leave them all open at the same time if I don't mind the smaller geometry of the split screen.

I also run collaberation S/W that allows me to run both Windows and Mac stuff from a single workstation, via a small SAN here in the house (4Gb fibre channel with a simple 4-port switch). That comes in handy 'cause my kids mostly use Macs while here in the shack, it's all Windows or Linux, and we can share files via the network from a common storage pool. But that doesn't have much to do with ham radio!:p

6. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Mozilla Firefox with Propfire and Fox Clocks add-on.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Snag-It is at the top of my list, closely followed by Keyboard Express, a macro pgm. I use both MANY times a day.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4NEC2(X)
    ICAP4
    National Instruments Labview
    Matlab (Scilab)

Legacy stuff:

AimSpice
    Mininec3
    emacs (Wrote Plasma Dreams entirely with emacs)

Eric

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oops..... forgot LaTex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.