Your favorite/most useful bench accessories?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB1KIX, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WC5CW

WC5CW Ham Member QRZ Page

KB1IBX, et al...

>"Someone covered at least 1 of everything I use, except: A big HAMMER, for when the damn thing doesnt work!"<-- KF6RDN

Funny...And I don't think you're alone <grin>...I've seen some pretty "hammered" gear at hamfests and swapmeets...Makes you wonder what the heck the person was really thinking of at the time.

Bruce
    WC5CW

2. AB6ND

AB6ND Ham Member QRZ Page

>"you are working on the wrong gear...you dont need no stinking optivisor headband when workin on a 6AG7 6L6 MOPA job or SX-101"<-- W8ZNX

Oh yes I do!
    ab6nd

3. KC7YPJ

KC7YPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

my trusty Banana knife™ utility knife = #1 handiest tool I own, knife, hammer (thing weighs almost as much), heatsink, helping hand (pop it open and let it close around wires to keep them in one spot for easy soldering), the list goes on and on.

most usefull "homebrew" item I own is a frankensteined helping hand (little metal base with couple of adjustable aligator clips) that I have added a few extra gators to.

then there's the 32 ounce vaughn framing hammer or 4 (not a miscount I work construction and seem to have a large collection of big arse hammers) that I keep handy for when things don't want to go together and require "persuasion".

and last but not least the 3ton truck sitting in the driveway that I use to spacialy modify any project that refuses to cooperate  :)

4. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know the proper name, but I think of them as surgical clamps. Stainless steel, squeeze them on to something and they lock, squeeze again to unlock. Great for holding parts, heat-sinking while soldering, etc, etc.

5. N3EF

N3EF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hemostats

6. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks!

7. KC7YPJ

KC7YPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

forceps... available at just about any farm supply type store or veterinary supply store. rat shack used to have them as well
    hemostat is same basic thing with fine tension adjustment (largely useless outside of holding flesh) at a substantially higher cost.

8. KI6FOM

KI6FOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotta be my thermal wire stripper. It will strip just about any gauge wire (even the tiny stuff) without requiring a lot of pulling force and it never breaks a wire or nicks the conductor. It even works well on the smaller sizes of coax like RG-58, RG-174, etc.

But it really shines when you have to strip both ends of a very short jumper or when you are doing repair work and you need to reach into a chassis and strip one end of a wire when the other end is already attached (without pulling *all* the insulation off leaving a bare wire dangling).

These are real pricey when new (~ $380) but they usually go pretty cheap on ebay.

-don

9. N2CFJ

N2CFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

An assistant who keeps quiet and hands you the right tool. I tried to home brew one but the result is not perfect.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, hemostats. AKA "roach clips" for those of us in school during the 60's and 70's...

Several, for soldering heatsinks and grabbing small parts. The ones with curved tips can be a big help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.