ad: elecraft

Your favorite IDE - opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7EJ, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have once or twice :rolleyes:
    But since I'm not a professional software engineer, I usually use perltidy or pep-8 to sort that out for me.
    Java is wherever they land, that's one strange language. Unfortunately, I'm being forced to deal with it more and more.

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ4VTH likes this.
  3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't call that "old fashioned". I'd say it is SMART!

Once you learn to use a system well, it makes no sense to drop it just because there's a newer IDE out there. As long as it does what you need it to do, and will run on the hardware you are using, then you are wise to stick with it.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

wait... does QBASIC even HAVE curly brackets? :)

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Are we talking simple microcontroller, a fancier one, or something else that requires external RAM, etc... ?

Many of the "free" compilers do not compile the most fast, efficient or compact code. The good compilers are $$$.

6. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Most compilers are "GCC" derivatives and when used in non real time application they do OK job.
    I think "fast" is really a result of efficient and compact code anyway.
    When I get my video object recognition and tracking working I am going to see if multicore CPU does improve overall process.
    I'll probably need to use some real time measurement methods. But that is in works for now.

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya know, the CMU Cam of how long ago did a lot of this stuff, right?

8. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you haven't designed your program for concurrency/parallelism, then the answer will be no.

Adding concurrency to a program that wasn't initially designed for it can be a hair pulling experience. Concurrency brings in a whole new world of bugs and problems like interthread communication, race conditions, deadlocks, atomicity and order violations. You pretty much need to start programming with concurrency in mind.

With that said however, don't let that stand in your way of exploring the topic.

K6CLS likes this.
  9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

IDE is out, iSCSI is in ;)

10. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree to start with concurrency and it will not be easy , but I like to do more than "blinking LED".

As far as OP - I am settling , reluctantly , on Eclipse.
    Eclipse is not perfect.
    The icons "options" are not too intuitive and the menus are too big to navigate.
    Some options do not always work or make sense - you have to "build" than you can "run" - initially.
    Than you can make a change and you can skip "build" and do "run" instead.

But it gives more info about the compiling / linking process than others IDE I test droved.

73 Shirley