Your favorite IDE - opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7EJ, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

And the eternal battle continues. :p

2. K1DBO

K1DBO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...and spaces, not tabs!

3. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am really not sure how to vote HI HI HI
    Eclipse or Code::Blocks - Girl or boy? Just found out that such basic test tool likes "Hello world" uses XTerm as standard output.
    And C:B does not give ANY warning about it!
    So GUI IDE uses command "window" as output!
    Than another one - goes for both genders - greenhorn like me gets into state when I need to get back to "default" - in C::B there is "Abort" - but buried in middle of some menu!
    I have not found "reset to default windows " in Eclipse.
    I recall that some MS stuff had "macros" - now they call it "custom keyboard" stuff...

I am trying to learn the basics of "build" process - got compiler covered, struggling with linker and barely touched make.
    I think Ellipse would be better after this fiasco with XTerm.
    I am sure I am biting more than I can chew right now.

73 Shirley

4. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

That really is not surprising at all as everything about the Linux/GCC build process takes place on the command line (nothing about GCC is GUI oriented), including all the switch parameters, and it is the command line where stdin, stdout, and stderr all refer back to, so it is often helpful to see the raw stream. While some IDEs might try to hide what is going in in the background it is generally best that they show you precisely what is going on in the background so that you can see firsthand what broke. Understand that anything hiding the console window is still running a console in the background and simply displaying parsed output, which may hide important aspects if they do not happen to parse out as expected.

KDE does include a development suite, KDevelop if I recall, you may want to look into if you have not already, at least it is free but whether it will do all you want I do not know as I generally did not use it unless fixing portions of the Linux code base, everything else I either edited on the command line or used jEdit for the editing.

5. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're using Qt, then QtCreator is quite nice. It's also pretty well focused on C++ as that is Qt's native language. For programming not using Qt, I'm not sure how difficult it is to wrangle.

I prefer Geany as an editor for my C work, especially for one project where the maintainer prefers a mixture of tabs and spaces for indentation. Geany seems amenable to that project where I'd have to do a bunch of configuration to get Emacs to handle it. I use Emacs for most everything else and the editor in Midnight Commander for some quick and dirty stuff. I do use Vim for Git commit messages. I figure I may as well be somewhat familiar with them all.

Lastly, I consider the whole desktop to be the IDE with various terminal windows open, editor, Web browser, etc.

6. K1DBO

Using Qt and even QtCreator from python is a real joy... much easier than from C++ in my opinion.

K6CLS likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You have a personal problem with a embedded controller ?

Did it twist your arm ? o_O

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fer winders, I like Dev C++. But most of the time I program with Linux, and I use the QT IDE, which is awesome. At least if you like QT

9. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

two or four?

10. K1DBO

As a rough approximation... if the language uses curly brackets and you put the curly brackets on their own line (and why wouldn't you) then two, otherwise four. But I'd never tell anyone where to put their curly braces.

KW4EK likes this.