Your favorite IDE - opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7EJ, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have abandoned "popular" toy embedded controller "board".
    Reasons are technical and personal.

Now I am back temporary developing for desktop, eventually going to select different controller hardware for embedded applications.

I have also switched to Linux / Ubuntu, thus making selection of decent IDE necessary.

So far I have tried Eclipse and finding out that it is OK for "Hello world" and a nightmare trying to link it to OpenCV.
    I feel the documentation is OK , but the "F1" help I got used to using MS stuff is nowhere to be found.

It is also difficult to figure out which one of several versions is suitable to work in Ubuntu 32 bits OS.

I briefly used "Geany" and "Code:Block" , can't really tell if that will work better than Elipse for me.

My question to forum - which is your favorite , free and hopefully Open source IDE to develop in C++?

I like to have decent GUI with on -line help ( AKA "F1") and good documentation when it comes to adding options
    to compiler and linker.
    Don't necessary care for "user supported" forum.

Here is a one link . out of many , about popular IDE's.

http://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-ide-editors-source-code-editors/

So - what floats your IDE boat and why?
    Appreciate your comments ( to the subject ) .
    73 Shirley

2. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

I often just use jEdit (a Java app) for coding, but I would not describe it as an IDE by any measure, it is just a highly versatile multi-platform text editor that supports formatting and colorizing the syntax of various languages for which it has plugins and the ability to script actions (like compiling, linking, execution) to emulate some very basic IDE-like features. But it's real claim to fame is its versatility and search and compare (visual diff) capabilities when you add the many plugins for it and the ability to run it on any platform for which a Java Runtime Environmrnt may be installed upon.

Otherwise it has been too long since I have done any serious systems programming, particularly on Linux, to really make any good suggestions as I would imagine much has changed in the past 10-15 years...though you seem to have already tried the most popular Linux IDE that I am aware of (Eclipse). These days I mostly use the Atmel AVR and Microchip PIC IDEs on the Windows platform, but from the sounds of things it sounds like you may be trying to develop for embedded systems like Raspberry Pi, etc., hence the need to code on and for Linux.

Good luck and please post back on your experiences and discoveries when you find what you are looking for as I would love to hear about whatever IDE you ultimately settle upon.

3. AA7EJ

Thanks for reply.
    Past few hours I have been using / test driving Code:Blocks.
    It seems to be less secretive as Eclipse. Eclipse has many undocumented "what does it do" options.
    But Code:Blocks is little too wordy - for instance - try to "select all" and copy is two menus step process. O well.

I did like ATmel VisualStudio ,until "they" went Windows 7, for ARM develpment.
    Personally I feel that "open" source IDE under no management - development done by hobbyists / volunteers - is a bad news because they have no financial interest which mostly shows up as sloppy documentation.
    That is where ATmel software differs , at least it appears to be more professional / documented.
    I'll give Code:Blocks a real try soon - trying to integrate OpenCV and pkg_config. Fun.
    73 Shirley

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Geanie for all of my C++ work..... and it works well, but I've been getting away from C lately. I've switched over to R for my "real" programming, which is rather data / math intensive.... and simply use Python for everything else.

When I first got into computers, FORTRAN was the thing.... which could be written on any test editor, then compiled. I still prefer to work that way today. Nowadays, there are a plethora of IDEs and Environments that substantially do the same thing. The trick is to not get too hung up on the IDE. Just pick one that works for you, and learn to use it well.

That being said, my all-time favorite IDE was QB 7.1.... and I still use it on an old DOS thru Win 7 machines today. It has everything you need to write solid Engineering programs, without a lot of meaningless features.

5. AA7EJ

My issue is - I am lazy and do not like to write program too far ahead.
    10 or 20 lines of code is about limit for me.

I suppose I would like to have an interpreter language in IDE.
    Something you can test as you go, but not a " command type " development AKA terminal.
    And you are right - too many "bells and whistles" in IDE are the other extreme.
    I recall when now popular ham software had oodles of display formats and colors. Maybe it still does, don't know.
    Sometime I wish there be a "B@W" option - single function key HI HI HI .

73 Shirley

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

me too, really. I tend to write in little sub-modules..... then use them like building blocks. Of course I still use line numbers.... too ;)

7. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not anyone's idea of an IDE but I use vi. It just works. :) I like the idea of IDE's, but I haven't found one that I'll keep around for more than one project. I develop in various shell dialects, perl, python, C and little java and C++ now and then. XML too.
    One nice thing about vi is, I work on only those sections of code that need my attention or interest.

Anyone fool with Netbeans?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  8. K1DBO

K1DBO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Call me old fashioned, but I still use emacs for everything.

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

call me old fashioned but I still use vi for most things.

seriously. It's available on most deep embedded and colo-rack-mount systems. good enough. not the best. not my favorite.

Eclipse is terrible IMO. Haven't touched VS in a really long time.

For Python I use idle.

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Shirley I was going to suggest code blocks, but I see you've already got it. I like it better than Eclipse. but I don't like it much.