Your favorite amateur radio slang

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AA7EJ, Feb 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2XT

K2XT Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct. I hear it on HF all the time. I interpret it as meaning, "Hey everyone, listen to me, I'm working DX. You are 5-9 here, great signal, over, over."

2. AJ4SN

AJ4SN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think anyone mentioned the old standby, "running barefoot."

N0TZU likes this.
  3. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't mention DX entities, if you remember I referred to areas - "western Europe", "Mediterranean area". I have a world map on the wall in front of me, as I guess that you have one somewhere nearby, what ham doesn't? Europe is visibly similar in size to the USA, so it is a reasonable assumption that if I can contact most of Europe in suitable conditions, an American ham could contact most of the USA in similarly suitable conditions. A committed V/UHF operator does not think in terms of "entities", he thinks in terms of distance. For instance there are occasional 2 metre contacts between the west coast and Hawaii by tropospheric ducting. Similarly in late summer it is occasionally possible to work into EA8 from the SW of the UK using very modest equipment. These contacts are prized for the distance covered, not the entities worked. On VHF and above DX has reverted to its original meaning of "distance"!

WA9SVD, WD4IGX, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"DX" doesn't just refer to DXCC entities (there is no such thing as "DX entity" - you are talking about ones that count toward DXCC) and the meaning depends on the band. In simplest terms DX just means "distance." On 2 meters talking to someone two hundred miles away counts as DX (at least, it always has in my time in ham radio, certainly did from when I started in 1977 until I became inactive in the 90s, and I'm not changing my interpretation of it now.)

5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a favorite or as a peeve?

Nothing wrong with it. I've used it, and probably will use it more often now that I have an amplifier and the ability to run otherwise.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

"Handle" was used for a nickname long before amateur radio came into being, and was adopted by radio operators before purloined by another service.
    Personal, or first personal did NOT have its roots in amateur radio.

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Instead of round-tables, they have turntables?

WZ7U likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Groan... :D

N3AB likes this.
  9. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_telegraphy

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page