ad: elecraft

Your expectations of LotW

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AA6YQ, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have set up a simple two-question survey to assess your expectations of LotW’s availability and processing time. Please visit

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/M5VWV9V

Thanks!

Dave, AA6YQ

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I wish more people would use LOTW I have contacted 150 Countries, but only 119 are verified via LOTW. ;)

My WAS took a long time to get all 50 States Confirmed via LOTW.

73 K2HAT

3. AD1L

AD1L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,

I completed the survey.

But, I doubt I would have clicked on the link if not for recognizing your call and knowing you to be on the up-and-up.

However, for the unfamiliar you might want to add a little more in the way of information. Like what is your interest and how this data is to be used.

Best regards,
    James - AD1L

4. W5AOS

W5AOS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LOTW = PITA . . . IMHO

5. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Lotw = over 200 countries confirmed... Works fb imho

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

That's my opinion too - I bulk upload to LoTW *once in a while* whereas I upload to eQSL after every single QSO

If a QSL matters enough to me or the other station, good old USPS is how it's done in my world.

Dave
    W7UUU

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same for me, very happy with LOTW/

8. WB3CII

WB3CII Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave,

I replied to your survey but also wanted to comment here. LOTW is just like any other new technology. It seems like no matter how fast we make something work, the users are not happy with it :(

Most of my Amateur "career" has been using paper QSL cards, waiting for them in the mail etc. How on earth could I possibly complain about something that does the same thing basically instantly ????? Even if it took a week, or a month .... it would be amazingly faster than the mail.

By the way, I upload to LOTW every time I finish playing radio. It only takes 30 seconds or so with my logging software so why not. I also send plenty of paper cards out. I just like seeing all of the interesting cards from around the world.

The main thing is, this is a hobby. We should be enjoying it :) If a person is not enjoying every second that he spends on the air or otherwise engaged with this hobby, he needs to find a different one.

There's my 2 cents worth :)

9. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no expectation of LoTW. I don't use it.

Too bad that's not on the survey.

10. DL4CW

DL4CW Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion processing time and availability is far less important than acceptance and flexibility. Just take the number of LotW users (~59k) and compare this figure with the total number of hams worldwide. Second, LotW does only count towards very few awards. If it were more flexible, it'd be more populated which would speed up things significantly. But no complaints from this side. I just take it as a nice add on, but wouldn't entirely trade my paper cards for LotW.

11. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I know Dave did not start this thread to serve as a "Lets rag on LoTW" post, but I have to ask what logbook program are you using? Personally, I use the free version of HRD (but I am considering upgrading to v6) and all I have to do is highlight a contact in the log and click on the option to upload it to LoTW. It does the ADIF to TQ8 conversion and uploads it to LoTW all in one very quick and easy step. My backlog is ZERO since I also do this after every contact. Why would I wait and do a batch upload when it is so easy to upload each contact this way?

No, its not completely 100% automatic like uploading to eQSL, but this whole process only takes a few seconds... at most.

...as long as the other station pays for the envelope and the postage!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  12. WB3CII

Scott,
    I use AC log. It also has the feature of highlighting an entry and uploading it to LOTW or E-qsl. However. I usually wait till I am done for the day and then it also has a feature to upload all entrys to LOTW that have not been previously uploaded. I do this every time I turn the radio off, takes about 30 seconds.

I am not a huge contester or award chaser, but I do feel that a QSL of some type is absolutely a must with every contact. LOTW makes that very easy. I still love QSL cards and send them out to quite a few guys, especially interesting foreign countries. Any one that wants one of mine just needs to ask :)

13. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I also use AC Log. Very easy to upload to both eQSL as well as LoTW. I used to love HRD's Logbook but found AC Log to be much better (and now it is much cheaper). Try it.. I think you'll never use another logging program. Well... except N1MM if you're contesting.

14. WB3CII

Steve,
    Have you tried any of AC Log's contest logs ? I also use N1MM but it would be nice to have everything integrated in one program.

15. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used their Field Day log in 2009. I was very pleased with it and though we only had 2 stations set up, we were able to network the two logs and that was a wonderful way to keep track as well as submit our logs. Easy, Peasy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.