Your considerations appreciated

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by G0GQK, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Italian made 7 band vertical antenna called the ECO 7+ ART 283, not available in the US. Until it rained in November last year all bands had a reasonable SWR, except for 30 metres.

28.120 was 1:1 24.920 was 1:2 21.070 was 1:4 18.100 was 1:4 14:070 was 1:3 10.140 was 1:7 and 7.038 was 1:1

After the rain all the bands except 10 and 40 metres went into orbit, which remain at 1:1, summarising, the top and bottom bands are perfect, the middle ones have high SWR's

The antenna was taken apart, the traps checked, no moisture anywhere, the coax is OK, otherwise there wouldn't be a 1:1 on two bands. The only item not checked is the balun in the plastic box, this resembles those on the Cushcraft R5 and R7. This is sealed in the case, cannot be seen, and the case is watertight.

Of course the SWR's on all these bands can be brought to unity by using an ATU but I don't wish to do that. Any thoughts anyone ?

Mel G0GQK

2. VK3BOT

VK3BOT Ham Member QRZ Page

"The only item not checked is the balun in the plastic box" <-- check that. Apparently water can get in some weird places. Also one other thingy while I think of it. What has changed that could cause it to go haywire? Did you change something in your yard? Or maybe in your area something has changed?

3. M3MEG

M3MEG Ham Member QRZ Page

Most Italian products dont like water .

4. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha ! That's true ! Years ago my daughter insisted that she wanted to buy this old Fiat Panda, I suggested kindly that it wasn't a good buy, but you know women..... maybe you don't ! I spent two weeks filling rust holes in the bodywork ! It went like the clappers, despite the fact she never topped up the battery, put water in the radiator, oil in the engine, or put air in the tyres.

Anyway my Australian friend, nothing was changed, it happened in November when the first heavy rain arrived. I suppose the only thing that was different was that the ground was perhaps wetter than normal, but its dried out since and it was still doing it until I took it down and stripped it. Nothing is any different, all the specifications have been followed.

Perhaps its a female antenna and having a dose of the wobblies ? For 6 months !

G0GQK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.