ad: ProAudio-1

Your chance to visit the Radio Caroline ship, MV Ross Revenge in August during GB55RC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G1XXV

G1XXV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm lucky I live only a few miles from where the ship the "Ross Revenge" is moored, as the crow flies. I always listened to Radio Caroline in the past. The distance, which as far as radio goes is nothing, but then unfortunately I'm too old to go wondering around ships.
    There were a number of other Pirate Radio Stations I listen too, like Radio London on the M.V. Mia Amigo also off the Essex Coast. There was also one station on the fort towers in the River Thames Estuary. Living on the North Bank of the Thames Estuary at Shoeburyness they were all within range.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  2. HA5AH

HA5AH Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember having stretched a cobweb of fine transformer coil wire as antenna in our backyard in Brussels in 1962-63.
    Best music with Radio Veronika Holland.
    Radio Caroline advertised for cigarettes, Johnie Walker, etc...
    At noon, they had fake commercial, with "BBC jamming sound" saying :

It's time for LSD...
    LSD is good for you...
    For "color TV", take LSD...

In those black & white TV times in Europe.

Can you say they were "avant-guarde", and UN P.C. ?

Still laughing after 55 years. HI !

3. W4NFR

W4NFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I TOO WAS IN THE NAVY ABOARD A DESTROYER IN THE MED. LISTENED IN THE RADIO ROOM ON A R-390, LOVED THE TUNES !

K3DRJ likes this.
  4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KK6HUY

KK6HUY Ham Member QRZ Page

I got to stay with Ian Ross and his wife during my trip to London in 2016. Super nice people.

6. VK6RE/SK2024

VK6RE/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Now this brings back memories, good and bad.
    Good because it was one of the main sources of rock&roll music in the late 60's, together with radio Luxembourg, radio North Sea, radio Veronica, the BBC Foreign Service and the Voice of America. I still remember the presenters Peter Lee of the BBC and Willis Conover of the VOA.
    Bad because growing up behind the Iron Curtain we were harassed and persecuted by the commies for listening to 'decadent' music.
    Much water under the bridge since, but the fond memories will always remain.
    Keep it up.

73's de LZ1KRA, VK6RE