ad: elecraft

Your Best or Worst Investment?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W0VYE, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA1ZPD

WA1ZPD Guest

Best: My PROII

Worse: My ex

2. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen. I swear to God I'll hang myself 'fore I get married again.

~73

3. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

The worst investment was the TH-78A hand-held I bought for my wife the very night she got her shiny new call sign. I had to take sick leave the next day (honest, I really felt sick) because I needed more time to work out the complex features of that transceiver and the perplexing instruction manual. Then I taught her how to use it, which she did on about three occasions during the 10 years it took for her license to expire.

The best investment was $8 at a flea market for an almost-full 500' spool of #14 stranded. Or the best could be the Heathkit SA-2040 transmatch I built in about 1980 (and which will definitely be part of my estate sale some day). Unless . . . uhhh, maybe the best is something else (anything else), to do with building or adjusting antennas, like antenna books, antenna materials, or antenna analyzers. 73

Gary, K9ZMD/6

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya better tattoo that one on the back of your hand so you can see it ALL the time!!:D

5. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger that! Already done. lol

6. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best might be the AR44 rotor & control I picked up for $25 at a hamfest. Also picked up a near mint Drake MN-2000 tuner for $150 (All Canadian prices) Oh and a TH33JR for $60.00

As for the worst. Really not bad investments but some equipment I bought that I really didn't need. We all live and learn :D

7. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know, worst was probably my SGC SG-2020. Some people just love this radio - mine is either a lousy example or my expectations were too high. It's rugged, and it's pretty easy to use, but it's not particularly sensitive. It's compact.

As to best? Hard to tell, all my radio gear is cool. Maybe the NCS audio mixer panel - it's nice to only need 2 speakers for 6 radios, and the various outputs are useful.

But my FT-2000D is close, so is the HQ-180.

8. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Best: Dentron Supertuner (1 kw) for about $75.00. I believe it might tune a wet noodle. It is in constant use.

Worst: Radio Shack crimp-on PL259s. Fell apart after a few months use. Tired soldering them -- nope. Currently in the junk box. Won't even give them away. Maybe headed for the great recycling container in the garage.

9. KJ6CEA

KJ6CEA Guest

Radio Shack can only make crap now.

10. AA0CW

AA0CW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BEST: Yaesu FT-950

WORST: West Mountain Radio RigBlaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.