Your Best or Worst Investment?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W0VYE, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought it might be helpful to new hams (or at least fun) to describe the best and/or worst investment we ever made in a radio-related product. This doesn't necessarily mean a bad product, maybe just something we didn't get much use out of.

My best was a 300-watt antenna tuner (AEA QT-1 no longer made), very similar to the ones sold now for about $170. I use it constantly.

My worst was a 2-meter handheld. The rig is fine (Kenwood 2600A) but I got very little use out of it, and it's currently Code Blue with a dead internal battery.

Anyone else? ~73

2. KF7AYS

KF7AYS Ham Member QRZ Page

This one is easy for me.

The Icom IC-7000 when I was a brand new ham. The radio itself is a great radio. However, in the hands of a beginner, it is a recipe for hours of ungodly frustration.

My best was my Kenwood TS-830s that I got for free and spent about $120 to get back on the air....

3. KE5WDP

KE5WDP Ham Member QRZ Page

I only have 3 Ham radios. 2 of them are 2 meter only. One here in the house and one in the pickup. I like the Yaesu here in the house better than the Kenwood out in the truck, only because it is newer. So no real reason....

I have a Yaesu FT 902 DM as an HF rig. I really like it. I don't need a brand new fancy radio in which it may take me 10 years to learn how to operate it.

My best investment is this 16 element KLM 2 meter beam. I bought it for 30 bucks.

Now, I have been around the "other" band all my life. (can't say the real band or the superhams will let me have it). But I will say that anytime I bought a radio without SSB, was a big waste of money. That's just me.

The single biggest investment I have ever made in my radio life? 14 dollars to take my test to become a HAM.

4. KI6DKC

KI6DKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Worst Investment: Yaesu FT817nd. Not because it was a bad radio but because I purchased it as my first HF rig not really understanding how fustrating QRP can be to someone new to the HF bands.

Best Investment: Yaesu FT857d. My workhorse radio now and I love it because I can make contacts with it 1000 times easier than the 817.

Live and learn.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

My best investment was my dog---free---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

best: $15 study guide and $14 fee for Ham license

worst: might end up beeing Yaesu FT-2900 we'll see how they handle it. it wouldn't transmit out of the box so I have yet to find out we'll see how long it takes to get back

7. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

Worst investment: Kenwood Th-F6A (retail: $329.95) when I was licensed as a Technician. I felt it was a huge investment as a newly licensed operated and I have yet to reap any benefits from it. I worked all of two repeaters in my local area. It has been shelved for nearly 2 years without any use.

Best investment: Joining the Northern California Contest Club for $15 dues (yearly). I have learned more since I joined in December 2008 than I learned in nearly 4 years at another local club.

Another good investment (free) was G4FON in order to learn Morse code.

8. KJ6CEA

KJ6CEA Guest

Worst investment: crappy coax $0.10/foot

Best investment: 2x $14 fee for tech, and then gen at a different time
    or TS-440SAT with all filters- free
    or 20 and 80meter dipole - $7 for 75foot power cord + acrylic for center

9. W3JN

W3JN Ham Member QRZ Page

Worst investment - a $50 G5RV circa 1998

Best investment: $25 for a pickup truck full of wire (bought on eBay) and $50 for some W7FG open wire line. Made several antennas from that that far, far exceeded the $50 dummy load between the house and the tree.

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Best: FT-950

Worst: SGC MAC-200. What a horrid, finnickly, useless, disfunctional POS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.