YouKit Me!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N8AFT, Jan 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Lane,

I have an older HB-1B (Mark 2 late/Mod 2 version; 80/40/30/20m). It has an internal LiPo battery - good for several hours regular use in my experience. It also has an integrated charger port although the charge control circuitry resides in the supplied wall wart. You can, of course, also run it off external 12V.

It's a really nice radio. I've done QRPicnics with a friend who has a K2, and while the K2 is a lot fancier, we did some comparisons and both heard weak signals about equally well. The variable IF filter width is very nice.

N8AFT likes this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

OK John! TNX fer info OM!

3. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a battery in it, I have one.

N8AFT likes this.
  4. N8AFT

STILL WAITING...

5. N8AFT

I finally have a tracking number for my rig... Yes, it is shipped, coming frm China....
    I'll spray it down with some Lysol disinfectant when I open the box and before, just in case... don't need the flu... :p

6. KD5TXX

KD5TXX Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered one in Nov and got it in Jan. Does have a battery holder but no battery. It's a cool rig. I ordered some batteries off ebay.

7. N8AFT

Got the HB-1B in tday's post. It's a keeper! Ordered the 3 14500 LiPo cells tday.
    Those are in short supply from China. I'm happy to have even gotten the rig.
    In retrospect the better way to go would be to order one from MFJ...
    I bit the bullet and ordered a Xiegu XG-90 Tuesday 3/17 from MFJ.
    They shipped it that vy same afternoon within an hour! It's due to arrive on FedEx Thursday 3/19!
    Talk about fast service!

VE7JBX likes this.
  8. N8AFT

The 14500 series batteries came in tday's post. I found them rather locally and used Pay Pal to buy them which I feel safe with vs. giving my CC info on line. The cells fit rather snug in the battery holder that was meant to hold std AA cells.
    The voltage reading was 10.5 VDC when I powered on the rig.
    I ran the YouKits provided charger for about one hour to top them off.. 12.6 VDC now.
    Ready For True Portable Or Off Grid QRP Action!

9. N8AFT

When you have the batteries charged, you may leave the charger plugged in the wall and rig and the charger will suppliment the battery pack.
    However; Do not disconnect AC pwr from charger while it is still plugged in to the rig! It feeds bk into the charger and drains the batteries!
    They recovered quickly though so no damage done. ;)
    It was left in that discharging condition for a few days after I shut off AC shack power mains...