You won't believe what people throw away

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KI7JOM, May 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI7JOM

KI7JOM Ham Member QRZ Page

So I work at the local transfer station (garbage dump) and someone threw away a perfectly good telescopic antenna tower! I stretched it out and it's a 36 footer. Very little rust, galvanizing all looks really good. Pros or Cons? I plan on running my 2M J-pole on this. I may build a dual-band J-Pole at some point. Was planing on building a tipping mount (stepping mast?) for this and adding about 4 feet with it.

KE0EYJ and K2CAJ like this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep the tower; throw away the J-pole!:D

KD6RF, K3UJ, KM5FL and 2 others like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why a J-Pole? Why not a 5/8th wave or even a ground plane? J-Poles are really poor performing antennas due to common-mode currents because the coax becomes part of the antenna. An SO-239 with coat-hanger 1/4-wave vertical and 4 coat-hanger radials at 45 degrees is a better antenna.

Super easy to build: http://www.qsl.net/wrav/2mground.htm

As NH7RO says, keep the tower, toss the Junk-Pole :)

Free is a GREAT deal on that push-up mast

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, N2EY, KD6RF and 1 other person like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^Ditto.

If you provide a photo (or better, multiple photos) of the tower someone (maybe I) can probably identify it and come up with all the specs and ratings.

KD6RF and AK5B like this.
  5. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Free tower... so nice.

You could fix the j-pole, but something like a Diamond CP22E would be a better value.

AK5B likes this.
  6. N2GZ

N2GZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY likes this.
  8. N8CMQ

N8CMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto on getting rid of the J pole, but get a discone if you use more than one VHF/UHF band...

WF7A likes this.
  9. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Collins 75A4. Found in local dump. Brought it home. Replaced the power cord that was chewed up. Checked the inside Looked like new. Fired right up. Worked perfect.

KE0EYJ and KX4O like this.