You don't see antennas like this anymore!

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W8BCR, Feb 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K3NOQ

K3NOQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had one of the Saturn 6 Halos on my '62 Dodge Dart 440 with a clamp on mount for the Bumper. I think the mount weighed as much as the antenna, solid steel with 3/8" hardware. I had a Swan 250 SSB rig and worked all over the country with the combo in the mid 60's.

2. KC0BIN

KC0BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

The Saturn 6 was a Class Act. [​IMG] A pity that antenna manufacturers consider Magic Band operators a minor element in Ham radio, or we might see keen stuff like this on the market. I always thought the Saturn 6 looked like something from Lost in Space or Star Trek o_O

3. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Strange as it seems, I saw a 6m halo on a car in the Portland area 10-15 years ago. It was a shock to see. In high school days in So Cal they were pretty commonplace.

I sold a slightly older, 99% original, 1954 Merc Monterey about six years ago.
    Gary

KC0BIN likes this.
  4. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who needs a rotor? Just drive in circles. :)

I like it, nice car and nice antenna. Looks very well built.

KC0BIN likes this.
  5. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

The only certain thing is change.

The ionosphere was unbelievably hot back then. 1959 stands out in memory. One Elmer's home was on a very small knoll overlooking suburbs east of San Diego. His 6m yagi was neither on a mast nor a tower. He simply laid it on his roof, pointed west. He routinely worked ZL, VK, and JA stations on 6m AM when the MUF was high. I never had the privilege of working him on 6m, but do have Pancho's QSL for a 2m AM QSO. Propagation is everything for exciting dxing with modest stations.

6. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, as I recall, the Saturn was the one shown on the cover of QST for April 1960. A bit of Goggling found numerous VHF loops of various configurations here https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...0RChw#imgrc=qOF-_I5igtHbrM:&spf=1520143320889

I'm only guessing, but these electrically small antennas may suffer from bandwidth limitations, but that is to be expected. The topic seems ripe for some serious modeling.

7. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

did he try 6 meters on it?