You do NOT have to sell to the first person who replies!!

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W7UUU, Jan 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

IOW: whining bidder ≠ winning bidder. :p
    OTOH, my posts to buy something (a 6m antenna from Dave @W7UUU) were repeatedly deleted. Supposedly, I didn't sound like I really wanted it. I had to resort to PM. I wound-up not getting it but, NOT because I didn't want it enough.

W7UUU likes this.
  2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

W7UUU's For Sale ads usually include a statement along the lines of , "ONLY contact via my QRZ email." and you then posted to the ad then had to resort to PM and, strangely enough, you didn't get the item. I'm not suggesting that Dave's buyer selection criteria are like mine, but here's what I do, " . . I reject potential buyers if they can't read/follow/ understand simple instructions such as contact by email only or PayPal only." My personal experience is that folks that can't/won't follow those simple instructions are more trouble than they're worth. You obviously don't fall into that category, but your approach just might be hindering you.

K3XR likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My reason for email contact only is simple: Replies come to my phone. I do not watch QRZ all day long - so PMs could sit there for a day or even two when I'm traveling on business and not checking the forum. It's just a practical concern is all

Bryan WA7PRC is a friend - he wasn't part of the problem in that case. We worked out contact just fine.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of when I was talking with a guy at a hamfest about the stuff he had for sale. I spotted a couple of boxes under the table, and asked if that stuff was for sale too. He said yes, and as I bent down to look through the box, this alpha hotel behind me reaches around and snatches a vacuum variable cap out of the box before I could pick it up. The seller said he wanted $40, and as our AH was pulling his wallet out, I said, "Well, I'll give you $50." AH bid it up a bit, but didn't have the huevos to stay in the game, and walked off. Seller sold it to me for the original $40.

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

Dave didn't delete my posts. Users don't have that authority/capability.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Turns out I'm glad I kept the 6m vertical - I will be putting up at the new place since I have plenty of places to put antennas these days :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  7. AJ4GQ

Sure, makes sense and I put that request in my For Sale ads also and for the same reasons plus I can do a hard trace on the email IP, which helps weed out potential scammers.

8. AJ4GQ

I didn't say he deleted your posts.

9. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

the mods will delete any post that is "e-mail sent", "pm sent", etc. the rules are quite specific about that.

they will also delete any "comment" posts that do not seem "productive" to the sale, again, the rules are specific.

i will leave some posts if it appears that there is an issue trying to find the seller

10. WA7PRC

You responded to something I didn't state...