You do NOT have to sell to the first person who replies!!

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W7UUU, Jan 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently had a go-round regarding a for-sale item, getting emailed comments such as "But I emailed 39 seconds after your ad went live yet you sold to someone else when I was clearly first. You have to sell to the first one who replies"....

Folks - I can sell something to anyone I dang please!! It's my item - if I get 3 responses and two of them sound like someone I'd rather not deal with, it's entirely my choice to sell to the one that seems to fit best even if he was the last to ping me. Or NONE, if they all sound flaky. Sometimes I might pick the friendliest sounding, or the buyer that's the closest (if "shipping is included"). Or the one who most closely matches my payment-method request. Or a QRZ regular that I enjoy chatting with. Any number of reasons.

QRZ Swapmeet is not an eBay auction with a "winning bidder" that the seller must sell to!! It's always the seller's choice to sell to whomever they want, regardless "who was first"

Just a reminder based on some recent experiences.

Nice to have a forum to yak about swapmeet stuff :)

Dave
    W7UUU

W5KGP, N7ANN, KD8DEY and 16 others like this.
  2. KN7S

KN7S Senior Swapmeet Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

We also see many folks who claim they should be the first in line to buy an item because they were the first one to send an e-mail or PM to the seller. MANY of the sellers here will also list their items on other web sites along with their listing on QRZ. It could easily be that they received a response from one of those web sites well before any response from QRZ was received.

N3AB, W7UUU and KB4QAA like this.
  3. N2PPK

N2PPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or even worse the people that Paypal your QRZ email hoping to be the first. Sorry, I'm more than likely going to refund you IF it goes through to me. Up until I tell you it's yours please do not send me money... it's a headache for everyone involved.

KD8DEY, N4AAB, KL7KN and 2 others like this.
  4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

My response would be, "Yeah, but that other guy emailed me 38 seconds after my ad went live. You snooze, you lose."

W7UUU likes this.
  5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely, sell to whomever you want. In addition to the selection criteria you use, I reject potential buyers if they can't read/follow/ understand simple instructions such as contact by email only or PayPal only. I've violated that rule twice and wound up having to deal with problem people both times.

K7MH, N9LCD, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  6. N7JS

N7JS Subscriber QRZ Page

Your point is correct. In all fairness, I always do try to go in order of time stamp email if possible. If it says "thinking I want this" or "got a question before I buy" or "can you hold it till I get paid this Friday" and I've got someone saying I'LL TAKE IT...the choice is obvious...the latter!

AJ4GQ and W7UUU like this.
  7. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

You can't charge enough to compensate for a potential buyer's obnoxious, boorish behavior.

If you start an "I GOTTA GET IT" tantrum, you won't get it!

WA7PRC and AJ4GQ like this.
  8. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Even there you can block bidders and cancel bids as I recall. I have blocked bidders during an auction when they contact me for some reason and seem too goofy to sell to.

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you put someone on "Ignore" here, they cannot contact you via PM and you won't see their posts. They can still email though.

But no matter where you list stuff for sale, there are pitfalls. The only truly "safe" thing to do is be like Pat and never ever sell anything :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, N4AAB, K7MH and 2 others like this.
  10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the chuckle.

My wife says I am the same way so she's just giving stuff away and not telling me. :oops:

W7UUU likes this.