ad: M2Ant-1

YOTA Month 2020 Results from the Americas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jan 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YOTA Month a Success in the Americas

Youth-operated amateur radio stations in the western hemisphere contribute 14,000+ QSOs to the worldwide special event celebrating youth in amateur radio during the month of December.

December YOTA Month 2020 was a great success in the Americas! Twenty-four operators under the age of twenty-five utilized special event callsigns to promote youth in amateur radio here in the Americas.

In the USA, four 1x1 special event callsigns were used: K8Y, K8O, K8T, and K8A
    (Y O T A). Twenty-four youth operators across the USA rotated these calls throughout the month of December. They made 14,699 QSOs using SSB, CW, digital modes, and satellites. This is an 11.3% increase in QSOs from their total in 2019 (12,487). Some operators used the callsigns during contests such as CWops CWTs, FT Roundup, and the RAC Winter contest.

We asked USA operators for their favorite aspect of YOTA Month. Michael, W3MLJ said, "My favorite part of YOTA month was running 5 radios at once. They were all on digital modes. Running the big FT8 pileups was very fun and to see the rate of the contacts being logged was really cool.” Calin, K8MTJ commented, “In general I liked making a bunch of QSOs in a short period of time. In particular, I had a really nice conversation with KC9CUK, Erich, on 40M. I also got a kick out of working ZR1ADI, South Africa, on 20M FT8.”

Youth from the Americas enthusiastically spread the word about youth in amateur radio and made 14,699 QSOs in the process. The event was a great prelude for the first ever camp to be hosted in the western hemisphere, which is still planned for July 11-16, 2021.

Bryant Rascoll, KG5HVO, who coordinated the efforts of the twenty-four operators and the logs for the USA stations, said, “Using lessons from YOTA Month 2019 made organizing more streamlined and flexible for our operators this year.” As part of his responsibilities, Bryant also managed Logbook of the World accounts for the US stations, the QRZ.com pages for all the callsigns, maintained an operator schedule, worked with YOTA month manager Tomi, HA8RT, and reported in to the YOTA camp committee in the Americas.

Globally, over 137,000 contacts were logged using 46 callsigns, all operated by hams under the age of 26. That total surpassed last year’s record number of 129,029. The USA placed second, behind Croatia, in the total number of contacts made during the event. Over 2,100 operators (both youth and adults) requested and received an award based on the number of YOTA contacts made as of January 19.

Awards that have not yet been claimed can be downloaded at events.ham-yota.com. Additional statistics are also available at events.ham-yota.com. All YOTA Month QSL cards should be requested by OQRS. More information about YOTA in the Americas can be found at YouthOnTheAir.org.

Audrey.jpg
    Audrey, KM4BUN operates SSB during a shift as K8O from the McElroy home near Atlanta, GA, USA

Calin.jpg
    Calin, K8MTJ enjoyed his time using the K8O callsign on FT8 from his station in Columbus, OH, USA.

ym_tra_450 (1).png
    youth logo rev with tagline and URL no fonts (1).png

W9EBE, K9EZ, K8VSY and 6 others like this.
  2. W2SOX

W2SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a blast operating the YOTA station here in the US, glad to see the enthusiasm of other youngsters like myself and most importantly the older operators who took the time to work us.

AI9E, K9EZ, KD2UHF and 2 others like this.
  3. AF8A

AF8A Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats to all of the YOTA operators! As you are learning, Amateur Radio is something you can do 'just for fun' while you learn valuable lessons along the way. Our hobby is so many things rolled into one: Acquiring and improving technical skills, people skills, knowledge of the world far beyond your personal space, engaging in competitive pursuits, pure relaxation, and the unique ability to communicate with like minded individuals, world-wide, with relatively simple equipment. It is extremely satisfying! I wish you all many years of success ahead.

KM4HOC, K9EZ, WB9VPG and 2 others like this.
  4. YD1MCD

YD1MCD Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Ham Member QRZ Page

YOTA was great I had a lot of fun operating K8A K8T and K8O I hope to do it next year again.

K9EZ and WB9VPG like this.
  6. WA8Y

WA8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations

WB9VPG likes this.
  7. K0FY

K0FY Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed my short rag chew with Ryan Pearson (K8T). AE0LC

KN4VKW and WB9VPG like this.
  8. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job guys! I managed to get K8T and 7X2YOTA, but didn't see the others unfortunately.

AA8GK and WB9VPG like this.
  9. N4GHP

N4GHP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I love to see our hobby continuing thru our youth. Congratulation to all that got on the air
    De. N4GHP

KI4QAC and WB9VPG like this.
  10. KI7PMQ

KI7PMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are the future of ham radio, we should give them as much support as possible! Congrats you guys!

KM4HOC and WB9VPG like this.
  11. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

Fabulous! Congratulations to all the participants. And a special shout-out to Bryant Rascoll, KG5HVO, who coordinated the efforts of the twenty-four operators. That's quite impressive, Bryant. Well done!

N8PEM and N3FAA like this.
  12. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

Truly awesome to see young people getting into the hobby!!!!!

13. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

It was terrific to have an event like this. I hope there are many more as conditions improve. Congratulations to all the young operators and their mentors!

WB9VPG likes this.
  14. KD6IQW

KD6IQW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Need more of events like this and SCR.

15. PD8HUB

PD8HUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dit worden de toekomst van Ham Radio