YO-100 with positively charged case!

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KI7WQH, May 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That was in the day before water pipes became plastic.

Iron water pipes are known to cause cancer in the state of California. We still have to suffer in Texas.

How shocking. :rolleyes:

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger -
    My cousin would likely be alive today, had those electrical standards existed in 1955.

Electrical service in rural areas of USA relied upon local power plants (largely coal, oil/gas in TX/OK), or utlizied Wind Engines (generators for electric).
    https://www.illinoiswindmills.org/history
    Windmills existed in 19th century US (Dutch and German immigrants) for grain milling in Midwest. This expanded after Civil War (1860s) in drier Great Plains, for mechanical water well operation.
    https://www.illinoiswindmills.org/engine-operation

During the Great Depression (1930s), FDR promoted Rural Electrification Act (REA) and Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) for Southeast USA ... to build the country’s electrical infrastucture and power plants (TVA many hydro-electric).
    Those national investments permitted significant construction in Pacific Northwest, Gulf Coast, as well as refinement of uranium (Oak Ridge, TN) and Plutonium (Hanford, WA)

3. KI7WQH

KI7WQH Ham Member QRZ Page

So here's a fun update. I swapped out the caps where the AC comes in and then grounded the case and she blew the internal fuse instantly. Something must have got cooked because now it blows fuses when I plug it in even when it's not grounded. I don't see anything physically burned on the inside.. ...so is it time to start tracing every circuit from the schematic or does anyone have any good ideas?

4. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Cooked or wired up wrong... (I'm not casting stones here... been there!)
    Disconnect stuff and use the ohm meter as a divining rod. There's a shorted component or wire to the case in there, maybe a transformer primary winding. This could be the 'real' reason why you were getting shocks.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    K7TRF likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

What kind / type of caps did you use ?

Maybe Hot and Neutral are reversed.

K7TRF likes this.
  6. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Never assume the house wiring is installed correctly, it's always a good idea to test all of your outlets with one of
    those 3-neon-bulb line testers before plugging things in.

I recently helped a fried repair some house wiring where the "electrician" put all of the switches on the neutral lines (white wire in the US).
    That caused a fair amount of head scratching and could have been very dangerous. When he replaced some of his bulbs with LEDs, the
    new bulbs would still flicker when they were turned off.

I remodeled a basement room in my current QTH and found some scary stuff when we moved in.
    One fluorescent light fixture had wiring so bad that it would spark up in the ceiling when turned on.
    I also found a piece of Romex cable joined to another piece, the installer swapped
    the black and white wires and the junction was made with a Cinch screw terminal block
    with too-small screws.

Another fun thing I found was an extra outlet that had been added to a circuit using
    a piece of flexible rubber cord that had become crumbly and was very likely to cause a fire.

Needless to say, I've opened up every outlet and switch box to check the wiring
    and have replaced almost all of the receptacles and switches.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  7. KA9JLM

Black is not ground for household AC like it is on a automobile. :oops:

Darn those auto mechanics.

WA7PRC likes this.
  8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

seems the miswiring was serious if he's really fried

9. KI7WQH

KI7WQH Ham Member QRZ Page

So right off the bat I have a question about the schematic, I see these symbols that indicate there should be something that comes before the fuse but the fuse is wired directly after the capacitors and it doenst look as if anything is missing. I googled around and I can't find an explanation for this symbol, does anyone know what is supposed to be there?

Attached Files:

10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The portion of the schematic you've circled are the transformer primary windings. They're shown as wired for 115V lines, the two windings would be wired in series for 230V lines.

KI7WQH likes this.