ad: AbAuRe-1

Yikes!

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KL7AJ, Sep 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another capacitor type that is starting to go bad on a regular basis is the silver mica. These are acquiring the "silver mica disease" and that often results in intermittent problems. Silver mica capacitors can be found inside i.f. cans as well as in tuned circuits and coupling capacitors in r.f. stages.

The old "bathtub" type capacitors, which have been pretty resistant to failure are now starting to fail on a regular basis. Contrary to popular belief, these "bathtub" capacitors are nothing more than paper capacitors encapsulated in metal instead of plastic or cardboard.

Glen, K9STH

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a SP-600-JX-17 I like & also have a HQ-129-x (with the red lettering).
    The HQ-129-x looks like it did the day it came from the factory !! That reminds me,... I need to get rid of it (I'm downsizing due to my age) - but I ain't gonna ship it anywhere. I need to find someone along the Gulf Coast (New Orleans to Panama City) that wants to add to their collection.

Steve / W5BIB

3. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Its Hammar time.

1.jpg

HQ's--100, 110, 145, 170, 180.

N2EY, KE4OH and KD2ACO like this.
  4. K9STH

IYM:

That is a LOT of weight on a folding table!

Glen, K9STH

K3XR likes this.
  5. KK6IYM

The Hammarlunds are light compared to what is behind them--a NC 183D, a SX 42, and 2 Mohawks.

Norm

KM1H likes this.
  6. K9STH

The Hammarlund receivers are not that much lighter than the Heath RX-1 Mohawk. The hammarlunds average about 45-pounds and the Mohawk is 52-pounds. The SX-42 weighs the same as the RX-1. It is the NC-183D that weighs the most at 65-pounds.

It looks like there are a couple of Hallicrafters receivers hidden behind the Hammarlund receivers, maybe S-108 or SX-110. Those receivers weigh right at 32-pounds each. Adding all the weight together, I get almost 550-pounds on the folding table. That is a LOT of weight.

The table appears to be very similar to this one:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...EjLKOscj6ahnJCnXIlMaAnN4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That table is rated at 250-pounds load. Even allowing for a safety factor of 100%, you are past that! I would definitely hate to see the equipment damaged by the table collapsing!

I definitely have considerably more weight on my main operating console. However, the bench legs, etc., are rated at 6000-pounds (3-tons):

https://www.grainger.com/product/GR.../rp/s/is/image/Grainger/20GZ76_AS01?$smthumb$

http://nebula.wsimg.com/f072cd32adc...50C433DB440D6B60D&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Glen, K9STH

7. KK6IYM

Bingo! It is the SX 110 and the small National is the NC 57M. I design and build furniture for a living, so gave the table some very careful inspection and testing before and after the photo. It is not the permanent home for the radios. The speakers add a couple pounds each as well. And, yes, I would be horrified if anything happened to these beauties. The table is similar to the one for which you have the link--however it is 60" long, not 96" so the carrying weight is much greater.

Norm

8. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Hammarlund HQ-100A. I use it with my Lysco 600 Transmaster. I do need to make a transmit/receive switch! The Lysco is a fine CW machine. I can use crystals or the built in VFO which is surprisingly stable! The one mod that I have is a spotting switch. I have been thinking about building/acquiring a modulator for AM.

Roger N6RGR

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  9. W6ELH

W6ELH Ham Member QRZ Page

KK6IYM said: "Its Hammar time."

Wow! That's quite a pile Norm!

These lovely old rigs surely do take up real estate. I was at a tiny hamfest this past weekend, and was sorely tempted to take an early Hammarlund SuperPro home with me. It needed work, but did have the power supply with it, and I could tell the nice gent who brought it didn't want to have to load it back up. Sorely tempted indeed, but I had to tell him I was just out of space and had too many other current projects. Of course I regretted my unusual exercise of willpower within hours! :rolleyes:

Jim... W6ELH

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

If I put just my pair of Halli HT-9's, the 32V2, and HT-32B on one of those tables Id be in trouble!
    I dont design furniture but Ive built many street rod frames and suspensions over the decades and dont take any short cuts.

Carl