ad: elecraft

Yikes!

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KL7AJ, Sep 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WB3JIH

WB3JIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Here: HQ-140X, HQ-170A, HQ-180, HQ-200, HX-50A, HX-500, and... HXL-ONE!

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I know of an SP-400, if the price is right...

4. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hammarlund made very good receivers, and my keepers are a 129X, 170, and 600.

5. W6ELH

W6ELH Ham Member QRZ Page

K3XR said: "...apparently provision is made for only one transmit crystal."

Hammarlund actually made an external push-button selector for the HQ-105TR which gave you 8 crystals on hand. It's rather clunky - as is the entire concept of the HQ-105, but that's what I find appealing. That set is also of the vintage to have Conelrad markings on the dial for the broadcast band, which is another reason I like it.

There was a very clean example on eBay a few months back - with the crystal selector unit - but I knew my job was going up in smoke so I had to "keep my wallet in my pocket" as Dad used to say. Jim... W6ELH

K3XR likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes that would have been the CB-8 which is listed as an accessory in the Universal Radio ad. Recall when they originally came out but don't know how many years they were sold or how many were manufactured would guess they are a rare item today.

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck I sometimes use a 1931 National SW-58 or a 1934 FB-XA. Since I absolutely HATE crystal control the TX is the separate VFO from a 1939 designed Meissner 150B with a complete set of coils that was part of a US Army Signal Corps TX purchased ~ 1943. I added other coils from the civilian Signal Drifter and can run from below the BCB to 10M. Nope I never saw the ~300# "desktop" rig.
    Weird can be fun and reminds me of my early ham days in the 50's rummaging around Radio Row in NYC and the MARS warehouse out at Mitchell Field.

Carl

W6ELH likes this.
  8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you owned an Eldico, Conar, KW Electronics, Morrow, Multi-Elmac, Sonar, Del Mar, Eddystone, Geloso, Karadio, McMurdo-Silver, Meissner, Midland, Mosley, Philmore, TMC, RCA, Echophone, Howard. There are even more obscure brands of "boat anchor" equipment that I doubt that even WA6MHZ has!

Just "pulling your chain"!

Glen, K9STH

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Philmore (image below) was my first SWL receiver familiar with many of the names you mentioned while I did not own a Geloso the Italian receiver did operate one during Field Day in the early sixties.
    upload_2017-9-30_20-43-8.jpeg

10. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had an hq-140X for several years, works but needs re-capped,etc.
    I was planning on dragging it out of storage this weekend for a re-build,
    but my A.M. Elmer Yogie (KC5MIP) just brought over an HQ-170 in
    excellent condition. At least a 9+ and works like new.
    The clock works and the plastic hasn't yellowed.
    No more ricebox rx., finally have a "real" rx. to go with the HB plate
    modulated tx.
    How does this rx. compare to others of the era? I've never "run" one.
    AD5HR, Jon