YG-455C-1 seems defective.

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W5NNX, Dec 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5NNX

W5NNX QRZ Member QRZ Page

Using in the 940 series, you have to remove a jumper install the filter (plug in) and signals should play. However, when installing this filter, receive is dead. Is there a way I can test this filter outside the radio?

2. W5NNX

I am thinking this filter is bad. With jumper removed, no signal. With filter installed, no signal. With jumper reinstated, and filter plugged in you only get the 88 filter effects. With the jumper cut for the 455, you get nothing. About as scientific as I can get. Never met a bad IF filter before.

3. W1NB

W1NB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It does sound like the filter is bad. You can test outside the radio but you need a signal source 8.8 MHz for that filter, I believe, and some device to measure the output like an oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, field strength meter or even an SDR or general coverage receiver that can tune the test frequency. It won’t be completely accurate because the impedance will likely be mismatched, and using an uncalibrated measuring device like an SDR or GCR will only provide a relative comparison, but it’s enough to determine the filters ability to pass RF.

4. W5NNX

Sadly, I do not possess a bench or such equipment. Just swapping it in and out, removing the jumper, sure looks like a bad filter.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Another test is to swap filter positions with a known good filter. Sometimes the filter is good but the connector is bad. I was able to fix a filter that had a bad connector. The vendor sent me what I needed to do a board level repair.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  6. W5NNX

I have aleady ordered another filter and will see.

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

There's another thread on the forum which covers the same topic.

In short: Check the solder connections on the carrier board VERY carefully. One poster found a bad joint, which rendered the filter inoperative.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Any chance that the filter is being put into a 8.83 MHz IF Filter position ?

9. W5NNX

10. W5NNX

Or run the radio with the 455 Filter only. Still will work but nicer to have both cascaded.