ad: SOTA-1

(Yet another) 'which antenna for this location' question

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by 5B8BA, Feb 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. 5B8BA

5B8BA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a few problems with my location:
    • Small plot (300 sq. metres/yards), covered in stamped concrete.
    • One storey house running E-W built on a hardcore float built in centre of plot,
    • Neighbours (two-storey buildings) one about 10 metres to south, another about 15 metres to West. Open space to E & N (beyond power lines). Sadly I can't use these areas.
    • Local electricity domestic supply to the north.
    I've tried wire antennas in roof space, but it runs parallel to the electricity supply, about 5 metres distant (and similar height) but no use due to noise. A short multiband vertical, but cannot mount at ground level ('The Boss' isn't happy about tripping over radials laid on top of the concrete) and cannot mount on apex of route, so has to be below leading to problems with radials. Obviously cannot use a taller vertical due to power lines.

I've been reading that magnetic loop antennas have reduced noise characteristics and am considering building/buying one. Are they REAL alternatives to more 'traditional' antennas?

Any advice, and any alternatives open to me - or should I give up a base station and go QRP mobile (I don't drive because of health, so would have to be able carry equipment for a short distance )?

TIA,

Paul 5B8BA

2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Would a Moxon or Yagi on a modest mast be feasible? Might help with the noise level even if your antenna height and sight lines are limited.

3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NH7RO likes this.
  4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran into this problem when I first moved to Connecticut. At the center of town there are powerlines running close and parallel to all four sides of the property! One solution was to operate the QRP category in contests and work the strong stations. I could hear them and they could hear me! In the summer I would operate 6M SSB with a 3 watt radio--I made enough contacts for my first VUCC certificate!

Zak W1VT

5. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes; but STLs are not a piece of cake to build and require best construction practices with a somewhat expensive vacuum capacitor for consistently good performance. A well-built small loop can be very effective in your situation just as they are in mine and many others.

Do some research before you jump in, though and see if you're up for building one. One tip: avoid commercially made STLs unless you want mediocre performance or can afford a really good loop like the Ciro Mazzoni loops (expensive).

There are photos about midway down my QRZ page of a few I've built (7-foot 40M and 3.5 foot 15-20M are the ones I'm using now) and I have posted links to some of my builds there, too.

If a loop is not feasible for you I also would suggest a loaded vertical dipole that doesn't require radials---perhaps something like the TWA models that DX Engineering sells or ProAntennasUK make would provide you plenty of contacts from your restricted space.

Here's a good read about STLs, too:

http://www.brisdance.com/vk4amz/files/Download/UnderMagLoop.pdf

VK4AMZ also has a good article on his 160/80M loop he built posted on his web page as well if you're interested.

Bear in mind that 20, 30, 40 and 80 meters are where the dx will be in these lean sunspot years if you like to chase it. (I concentrate on 20 & 40 myself but perhaps in Cypus you have more possibilities for openings on higher bands to Africa/EU/Asia also)

Hope this helps!

Jeff

6. 5B8BA

5B8BA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tips, guys - I'll be trying them out.