(Yet) another amplifier myth

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K4HYJ, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That, and many more fine and useful products can be purchased from KaleCo Auto: http://www.kalecoauto.com/. ;):p

2. K5RT

K5RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget changing the air in the tires!
    These guys are the ones who stood watch for the mail buoy in the Navy too.

3. WA7PRC

KaleCoAuto has Seasonal Tire Air:

[​IMG]

4. KB2NHW

KB2NHW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use carnuba wax on all my antennas. It helps the watts slip out of the antenna better. I gain about 2 s-units in signal gain like that!!!

Also, i dont use white antennas in the winter because it blends in with the snow and the signals cant find it easy. That goes for black antennas at night also, thats why you see those lights on the top of towers.

Also make sure you cut all your coax lengths into wave lengths of either 1/4 or 1/2 wave to match your antennas. Use 1/4 wave for 1/4 wave antennas and 1/2 wave for 1/2 wave antennas.
    If you play your cards right though, sometimes you can match a 1/4 wave coax to a 1/2 wave antenna and make it 3/4 wave and get some gain out of it.

For a temporary solution to worn tubes, you can use lightbulbs.

Turn your amplifier backwards and it becomes a receive preamp.

Remove all the resistors from the transmitter stages of your radio for extra gain. The FCC puts those in there to cut your power down.

Change the oil in your oil can dummy load every 3,000 hours, or use synthetic and change it every 10,000 hours. Lukas or Marvel Mystery Oil helps also.

Turn your radio sideways and you can hear station talking on the flat side. (Horizontally Polarized).

Put a sock over your mic to reduce room echo.

5. WA7PRC

They're better-described as dark suckers. Please refer to the Dark Sucker Theory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.