Yes, we DO need/want a GEO sat with ham transponders over the Americas !

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KC9SGV, May 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC9SGV

KC9SGV Ham Member QRZ Page

image.jpeg Hi All,

Just revisiting this idea again now that the Dayton Hamvention is approaching...
    Looking at the success of the the European QO-100 GEO satellite with two all mode ham radio transponders, and having monitored the QO-100 Web SDR over the the last few months, it is obvious to me that we also need/want one of these GEO sats over the Americas.

The 250 KHz NB all mode passband is never saturated, being available 24/7/365.
    It is my contention that even here in the USA, we will not be able to swamp 250 KHz or even 300 KHz (ala 40 M) with our uplink and downlink signals when spread out over time.

Having also followed all the various AMSAT Twitter feeds, as well as the AMSAT-DL QO-100 forum, it becomes very obvious that the hardware and software solutions to work this GEO sat is fast becoming a new genre or facet of ham radio.
    Very exciting solutions to TX and RX via the satellite are posted on these forums all the time.
    Makes one want to immediately start building novel new hardware !

Inexpensive COTS (commercial off the shelf) solutions also abound.
    These just need to be connected together and your ground station will be on the air !
    We DO need one or two GEO satellites with all mode ham radio transponders up over our nearby Equator first, though.

See the related QO-100 (Es'Hail 2) images here to feel the excitement !

Google
    qo-100 es'hail 2
    Then look at the images.

Listen to the activity on the satellite here:
    https://eshail.batc.org.uk/nb/

Bernard,
    KC9SGV

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cough up about $1 Million to get the ball rolling.

AMSAT-NA has dedicated years to getting a geosynchronous/stationary station, via any means possible. Unfortunately, the one candidate that was tracking to realization was ended due to budget cuts/change in priorities in USAF plans. shrug.

The world of satellites changed about 20 years ago. Free rides on government rockets/satellites evaporated as the industry shifted to commercial (profit driven) basis.

QO-100 didn't happen from the pittance of 'annual dues" of any national amateur AMSAT organization. It took massive funding from some combination/permutation of deep private pockets and government funding.

"No buck$, no Buck Rogers"; also, getting radios in space is not as simple as you make it.

N2EY, K4BAD, K3RLD and 3 others like this.
  3. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like many others, I share your enthusiasm and desire for this type of amateur radio satellite capability over North America. Projects take more than enthusiasm to bear fruit.

It is an ambitious and complex undertaking, worthy of our support in any capacity we can offer to the AMSAT community. Do you belong to AMSAT or any teams working on solutions?

NJ4Y and WD9EWK like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BTW, it is a Qatari satellite, not European.

This fact is important in understanding the motivation and source for its funding.

W5PFG and WD9EWK like this.
  5. KC9SGV

KC9SGV Ham Member QRZ Page

No formal membership to AMSAT or the Ground Station yet, but on their bulletin boards.
    Also, nobody asked me to post here.
    This post is just due to enthusiasm for the subject matter and an intuitive grasp of the dynamics.
    I use GEO sats and polar sat constellations in my professional life every day.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2019-5-1_9-30-55.jpeg
    Yep, we need more crap in orbit

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

See, the thing about this.... is that really the only detriment to putting "more crap in orbit" is the likelihood that it will interfere with other "crap in orbit"... so it's kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

W5SAT and KB1PVH like this.
  8. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing I'd like to point out is that the image shared is very misleading. Orbital debris is certainly a concern, but graphics like that greatly exaggerate the problem.

N4QX, W5SAT, KO4MA and 3 others like this.
  9. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For lack of a better description to that image, all I can say is "fake news."

N4QX, W5SAT, N8HM and 2 others like this.
  10. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Slightly off-topic, but convincing the relevant licensing authorities (FCC, etc.) that AMSAT has a means of mitigating our satellites adding to the debris problem is a non-trivial component of the planning for the GOLF series (and I **badly** want to see another bird in AO-7 orbit or higher for selfish (WAS satellite) reasons, among others). My shekels to AMSAT each year probably go further to that goal than what I give to many other organizations.

N4QX, KA2CZU and WD9EWK like this.