Yes, Speakers are repairable ...

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W9GB, Nov 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

... for vintage antique radio restorations - there may be no suitable direct replacement.
    http://www.eminence.com/how-speakers-are-built/

In 1966, Bob Gault founded Emence (which become the world’s largest loudspeaker manufacturer) after working as an engineer for Magnavox and CTS (Chicago Telephone Supply).
    Gault received an early commitment from Everett Hull at Ampeg, manufacturer of guitar amplifiers.
    http://www.ampeg.com/history.html

Factory Tour : How they build their speakers.

Eminence Speaker LLC
    P.O. Box 360
    838 Mulberry Pike
    Eminence, KY 40019
    http://www.eminence.com/
    Phone: 502.845.5622
    Fax: 502.845.5653

2E0TZX likes this.
  2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh absolutely they are repairable . . .

Before I got into Broadcasting, I was a Recording Studio engineer/producer. Like most British studios in the 80s, we used Tannoy Gold unique design loudspeakers for our main studio monitors.

I got sick of taking recordings home and them just not sounding the same on my big home-made speakers . . . so I bought a pair of the same Tannoys, which I have used ever since on my Hi-Fi and TV.

However . . . my daughter blew them up at a party a couple of years ago. I went mad at her . . . but later realised it wasn't her fault - the really soft foam surrounds had simply disintegrated with age.

I contacted Tannoy, and was amazed to find that a re-cone kit is still available for them. (even though they stopped making these 'speakers years ago, I guess a LOT of people want to keep them going)

But then I saw that companies sell replacement foam surrounds . . and found someone who had them for my Tannoys, along with the glue.

I wasn't sure if I would manage a successful repair . . . but it was 100% successful . . . They're like brand new again !

I then tried replacing the ripped surrounds in my car's speakers (they were really good carbon fibre units, but being 25 years old they had similarly perished.) It was more fiddly replacing the surrounds on these 4 inch drivers . . . but again 100% successful !

Roger G3YRO

3. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My bands have blown enough speakers to know that. :D

4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

wow there's a lot of parts to one of those.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems the "foam" surrounds of modern speakers last 10-15 years. Paper speakers seem to last almost forever. There is (or was) a place in Orange Co. CA that could replace the foam surround of speakers; but only economic for large, home speakers. I gave up on "DIY" repair of auto speakers.

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's true (although I'd say they last 20 - 40 years) . . . but speakers with foam surrounds are much better, as they are much more compliant.

I was nervous about replacing the foam surrounds on my Studio speakers . . . but as I say, it was surprisingly straightforward. (and saved me a LOT of money!)

Roger G3YRO

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to get the foam surround replaced for my parent's speakers twice, after about 12 years each, but they weren't the "highest quality" speakers. You can easily tell when the surround has given out by the distortion, even at low or moderate levels. When one went "bad" a third time, after about 10 years, the speakers were "retired." They were replaced by my "olde" Wollensak speakers from 1968, and performed just as well, and not requiring replacement of the surround material.. Naturally, even a quality foam "surround" replacement is far less expensive than replacing whole peakers!

8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

I have a Graybar 550 console model AC operated TRF receiver from the mid 1920s that had, basically, all the paper cone gone from the speaker when I got the receiver in the late 1970s. I ended up replacing the paper cone with one made from "Big Chief" tablet paper. Believe it or not, the speaker sounds pretty good!

Glen, K9STH

9. N8CMQ

N8CMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to glue rips in speakers to reduce distortion, and replace cones as well, but now, most of my listening is with headphones.

10. 2E0TZX

2E0TZX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thought foam surrounds was more a legacy thing, and silicone type rubbers are used now?