Yes Finally, 2 Meter AM Contacts are Back...................

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2WH, Jul 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ed lived in Colts Neck.
    He ran a 4 over 4 about 40 to 50 feet at least. Used nitrogen filled coax :eek:
    Rig was an Icom IC-551D. Can't remember what amplifier he had.

Ed made 254 transmitters and 6 receivers. I have the transmitter and receiver that were used in the ad pictures plus another receiver and transmitter pair. One of the 6 receivers was destroyed many years ago. Over the years, two receivers were accounted for; last receiver was last seen in the Phoenix, AZ area. Tried to contact the owner in the early 2000's but never got a response.

Ed passed in June 9,1994; http://www.uksmg.org/content/w2idz.htm
    I visited him several months earlier on a Sunday afternoon. He was trying to downsize a lot of homebrew stuff he had accumulated over the years.

Call doesn't immediately ring a bell. Would have to check the old logs to see if I ever worked him.
    I still have my Clegg Venus, SS Booster, 416 Spk/PS, and Apollo cannibalized amplifier.
    Ed and I both worked in the same organization at Bell Laboratories in Holmdel in the 70's and early 80's.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't remember the Colts Neck QTH, but that explains a lot. That was less than 10 miles from me and visual LOS. I could see the tower installations at Ft. Monmouth from my roof, and my 4x 5L beams on 50 MHz were up 72 feet.:p

My receiver was pretty immune to overload, thankfully.

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I recall working a station in Point Pleasant, N.J. several times on 6 meters when I was living in the Kansas City area. He had a tremendous signal.
    Tom WA4ILH

4. WA2CWA

Depending upon when, but most likely, it was a Sporadic E contact. A good E ionization on 6 meters can bring about bodacious signals even with peanut power. Back during the double solar peak in 2002, I worked 49 states and 87 countries in roughly 3 months with a Icom IC-706 MKIIG running about 90 watts. Conditions and timing are probably more important on 6 meters for working wild stuff then power.

5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I got his card, he crossed out Denville and filled in Colts Neck confirmed 43 years ago !

I have most of my 2 meter and 6 meter QSL cards and here is just two of them:

Scan10009.jpg

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill,

Ed WA2ACJ was my neighbor (about a mile away) in Springfield and we spent a lot of time together; he was about my father's age, though, and passed away many years ago.

I installed his 6/2m beam for him, must have been back in about 1968-69. His home was one of the many in Springfield that was purchased at the going rate to be demolished, to make room for Interstate 78 which now goes right through where he lived.

When they had to move, they relocated to California and lived in the S.F. Bay area until the end. He was a cool guy, an insurance investigator back in the days before people had video cameras...he had still photography cameras, tape recorders, notebooks and all sorts of stuff in his car -- like a detective, but not working for law enforcement. He worked for insurance companies.

7. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew that that's why I put his card in there.

Apparently, scanning that color card, "Coral", doesn't reproduce well.

8. WA2CWA

I checked my QSL stash for 6 and 2 meters from back in the "good old days" and I looks like we never worked or we worked and never exchanged cards . I know I worked Steve on 6 meters when he was in Springfield and I was in Rahway but don't have a card from him either. Surprisingly, I forgot I worked Wyoming on 2M SSB but seeing the QSL card reminded me. Also saw a number of 2M cards from Texas confirming QSO's. My number of 6 meter QSL's confirming contacts far outnumber any other bands. Haven't looked at these cards in years. A bunch of these cards go back to my Novice days when I was young and innocent :)

9. WA2CWA

A quick diddle with photoshop. I think Coral is more pink then red.

testscan2.jpg

10. KA5IGI

KA5IGI Ham Member QRZ Page

So he was a real-life Johnny Dollar with an amateur radio license! ;)