ad: ProAudio-1

Yes Finally, 2 Meter AM Contacts are Back...................

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2WH, Jul 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No one mentioned the Ameco TX-62, still have 2 of them.

I am also looking for a nice HA-460 6 meter AM rig.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

TX-62 was a fine transmitter.

I don't have two, but did have "one" back in the day (with the VFO-621) and never had a problem with it. They did sound good, and I used mine a lot on CW back then, where it also worked fine. I thought the "spot" function could have been done better (it involved turning the mike gain all the way down to activate the "spot" switch...kind of weird), but it worked okay.

Started out with the CN-144 Nuvistor converter ahead of an NC-300 but stepped that up to a Janel solid-state RX converter which was slightly better.

Remember the days when "tuning around" for a call was a normal thing, because a lot of 2m AM ops were still xtal controlled?

My last 2m/6m AM rig was a Clegg Zeus, which ran about 4x the output power of the TX-62 and had its own VFO built-in. 125W output, plate modulated. It got attention.

Then, by about 1974 or so, everything was going to SSB and I sold all my AM gear. Probably shouldn't have done that, as AM could still be fun but I figured it was never coming back.

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was a teenager in the mid- 60s, the only radios I got to play with were the Gonset rigs at the Civil Defense office in the basement of city hall. All AM in those days. I bought a military surplus AM radio from a guy in a neighboring town (Cranford?) for $35.00, which was a huge investment when I was 16 years old.
    Tom WA4ILH

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's an old Route 66 episode that has Gooney Boxes and Julie Newmar. Mercy, what more could one ask for...Julie Newmar AND Gooney Boxes in the same show! :)

5. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That made me smile ... that something special in the sound of a plate modulated rig.

6. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was on 2 meter AM in the late 60's when I lived in Maryland with a Ameco TX-62 and CN-144 converter ahead of a Lafayette receiver. 2 meters was great fun on the east coast in those days! No desire to work AM these days.

W1BR likes this.
  7. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Lafayette HA-250 was a 6, 10(11), 15 meter linear amplifier.

[​IMG]

Lafayette "premier" 2 meter transceiver was the HA-1200. I have one of these and it works quite well.

[​IMG]

Lafayette's 6 meter HA-460 and the 10 meter version, HA-410, are still quite popular on those bands.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I have two Ameco VFO-621's One drives the Clegg 66'er and one drives the Clegg 22'er. As mentioned, the Clegg 22'er MK ii is a great two meter AM rig with 40 watts, built-in VFO, and a great receiver.

[​IMG]

And. of course, my favorite rarest of the rare 6 meter combo's; my Whippany Labs Li'l Lulu receiver and transmitter

[​IMG]

WN1MB likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

I had a 22'er MK II for a few years near the "peak" of AM activity on 2m, but it was all moving to SSB and by about 1974 or so, I sold it. That was a great 2m AM transceiver, I think likely the best ever made by anyone.

I tried like hell to convince Ed (Clegg) to include CW and just even a simple BFO, but he was kind of a perfectionist and figured without a good product detector and excellent keying characteristics, he didn't want to add the cost for that.

That was a time when CW was the "DX" mode for 2 meters! Anyone serious on 2m used CW for DXing and AM for chit-chatting.

DXing went to SSB and chit-chatting went to FM!:p By about 1975 or '76 I didn't have anything for 2m AM anymore. But I did have a Clegg FM-DX which was probably the best "amateur radio" 2m FM rig ever made.

9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Late 80's or early 90's, Ed sent me a whole carton of 8150 new finals for the Clegg 22 MK II. They're still around here somewhere. The 22'er MK II I have still has a good emission final in it. The front end of the receiver used several dual-gate MOSFETs.

10. WB2WIK

Re old 6m gear, Ed (not Clegg, Ed Ladd W2IDZ) used to complain to me daily about overloading his receiver on 6m so badly he couldn't hear anything else.

But that was when he lived pretty close by; I was in W. Long Branch and he was somewhere in Monmouth County, I forget where but I think only about 10-15 miles away (c. 1984-85-86). I ran 1500W to stacked beams, and don't remember what he was using but evidently something that couldn't handle strong signals so well.

He even called me on the telephone to complain about it!

I remember the Lil' Lulu but never owned one, and didn't even know they were a "pair." I think I've only seen the receiver.

Ed was quite old already in the mid-80s and I believe died in the early or mid 90s. Good 6m enthusiast, for sure.

Re: "The old days on 6m SSB" (like early 70s) do you remember W2NOF from Brooklyn (I think) who used to drive up to Mt. Equinox, VT practically every weekend to operate from there? Geesh, he was up there a lot. He had a Clegg Venus in his car! From Equinox, he was always strong...location, location, location...