Yes Finally, 2 Meter AM Contacts are Back...................

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2WH, Jul 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have been using my new 9700 and like it alot.

Not a lot of activity but I'm working on getting a better antenna situation.

So on 144.200 there was the remnants of a 2 meter net, checked in and worked a mobile unit about 30 miles away.

Chatted with him and it just came to me I asked him to switch over to AM mode.

It was great, and then another W1 checked in on AM.

The last time I worked 2 meter AM mode, (checking log from 1970's) was in 1980 using an old Ameco TX-62, a little over 40 years ago !

Here's a snippet from my log.

Capture.JPG

W9WQA, AG5CK, NQ8J and 5 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job the last one I made was with a Heath Twoer

WA6MHZ, NQ8J, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Same here!! Got it on video, no less!! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY, NQ8J, W2ASC and 5 others like this.
  4. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is fabulous.

When did this contact happen ?

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks! Without being at my log in the shack, I'd say mid-August 2017

Dave
    W7UUU

6. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ooooooooooo! Rustic! I use a chair here.

K3RLD, NQ8J, VK6ZGO and 3 others like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We need Pat to free up his stockpile of Twoers and spread them around so people can play around on 2m AM.

Problem nowadays is there are repeaters everywhere that might wipe out a lot of the band when using a Twoer, and also crystals are very expensive today compared with the ~$2.95 they used to cost back in the sixties.

But it would be fun to get some local 2m AM nets going.

K2WH likes this.
  8. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, well it's nice to see people use and experiment with am and even fm. Tonight i had a qso on hf france/uk on 20, nothing abnormal about that, but we dropped down to a quiet corner and had a chat on FM. Started with 100 watts, then dropped down to 15watts.
    With no ssb stations breaking through it was xtal clear. Next time ill work him on AM and join your club albeit on hf. Great work, ill listen out on vhf for any AM activity.

9. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a 6 meter AM net every Sunday night here in north Florida and southern GA on 50.4 mhz. W4ICU is net control.

WA3GWK likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's some 6m AM action here in So. Cal. also.

That "most" newer HF rigs now also include 6m maybe helped that along.

But while we can create activity on VHF-AM, I doubt we can ever bring back what it was like in the sixties. Back then, 2m and 6m AM were "crowded" and finding a contact took about 30 seconds. A lot of guys had AM gear in their cars and operated 2m/6m AM mobile. I had a Gonset Communicator II (2m model) in my '62 Valiant, with a halo on a bumper mount mast and the rig sitting on the floor where the passenger's feet would normally be.

Real chick magnet, that was.:p