ad: Radclub22-1

Yes! Anyone can master CW.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Aug 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

n7uo writes "We've all known someone looking for a way around a rule. Americans tend to look for a way around obstacles rather than confront and overcome them. Perhaps the most common one we're familiar with is the absolute minimum qualifications to upgrade beyond Technician class. The license structure has been modified through the years, and unfortunately, always in a downward spiral toward virtually no requirement.

I both respect and applaud those who became licensed many years ago when expertise in electronics, CW, and the stringent rules governing our hobby were still in place. Sitting before a representative of the FCC who wasn’t emotionally involved in ensuring customer service and successful completion of his testing process were somewhat unnerving to say the least. But beyond the environment, the knowledge required to obtain minimum privileges was significantly different that those of today.

Morse Code bashing has become a pastime on this site. There are those of us who did what was required when we tested, accepted the requirements for what they were intended, and successfully completed the tasks. Today, however, the cans are pitted against the “caaaaaaaan’t’s.” Virtually every excuse one can imagine has been proffered in this forum. Pages have been filled with the can’s caustically emoting their opinions (mine included) about why the caaaaaaaan’t’s can’t seem to manage the minimal five WPM requirement.

Rather than becoming part of the problem, over a year ago, I offered and taught a two-day CW class. All the attendee’s were required to do was to know their letters and I promised to deliver the remainder. I was amazed. Those that had prepared for the class were successful. Several of those who were unprepared became frustrated, jumped to their feet and left the classroom, never to return. The class was absolutely free! During my first class of approximately 12 students, I actually had six complete the course and successfully pass their tests. Several of the remainder boned up on their own and also passed. The remainder…..well, they caaaaaaaan’t.

Subsequent to the initial class offering, there were three other classes. Amazingly, the attendee numbers plummeted. In my last class, only one person attended, and subsequently acquired his CW certification. There were a host of "get-to-it's" that just couldn't find time in their busy schedules over a period of a year to attend the class.

In my post analysis of the classes, and my perceptions of those who caaaaaaaan’t I am beginning to recognize that many are self-defeating, or attempting to achieve their goal in solitude rather than reaching out to those who can. Mastery is about practice. It is similar to building a callous on one's finger. It occurs slowly, layer upon layer, day after day. It doesn’t happen over night.

For those of you who are struggling, STOP! Find another person who is struggling, and set aside a time every day for maybe 30 minutes. For 15 minutes one person sends and during the last 15 minutes only copies. You can do it over the telephone with a code practice oscillator. In 30 days you will be amazed at your successes. Since both of you have been making excuses about why you caaaaaaaan’t you no longer have an excuse and will discover that you CAN!

I wish you success!

Frank/N7UO"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.