Yeasu YO-100 Monitor Scope

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KF5UMC, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF5UMC

KF5UMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this qualifies for the boat anchor section...I have a Hunter Bandit 2KW input linear amp and recently I was given a Yeasu YO-100 monitor scope. This scope is the tube version and works well - good clean CRT screen signal. The manual talks about hooking the scope up to the linear amp to check the signal quality for flat topping, etc...

My problem is how to or where to connect the cable from two tone generator coming from J1 Tone Out on the back of the YO-100, to the rig. My rig is a Icom 735. Also to use the scope to preform the Trapezoid tests looking at the cable diagram, I need to connect J1 Tone Out cable to the microphone input. So for that I need to make a cable with a RCA jack on one end and a 8 pin Icom Mic plug...Right?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    John
    KF5UMC

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/yaesu/yo100/

Have you read the manual?

-Power limit is 1Kw, so take heed. If you want to run higher power you cant' run it thru the monitor. You will need to buy or build an RF sampler. There are dozens of examples available on the net. W2AEW has several excellent videos on Youtube.

3. KF5UMC

KF5UMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually yes I HAVE read the manual and thanks for the link ...while the "specs" on page 2 say Signal Power Limit: 10 watts -1 Killo Watts...then on page 15 under the title of Transmitter Monitoring...Ten to several "Killio" Watts signals can be monitored on the scope. BTW- the solid state version, YO-101, is only rated at 500 watts. Regardless, I don't plan to push 1400 watts through it yet...but rather looking for suggestions on the cable hookup so I can get the tone generator into the Mic circuit...and hope some elder Elmer my know.

John

4. PD0AC

PD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

I own the same scope, and the output just connects to the mic input of my FT-901. I assume it won't be different for your Icom. Add a PTT switch and you're done.

5. KE7TRP

KE7TRP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used and owned the YO-100 for 15 years. You can put Killowatts and killowatts of RF power through it. I have run well over 3k with no problem testing amplifiers and transmitters, Its a simple sample circuit through the unit. Just make sure to go to the next padder position on the back if you start to max the vertical picture. As far as the tone, I think think the Icom offers a tone output.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.