Yeasu Linux

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M0DDR, May 4, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0DDR

M0DDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Are all Yeasu products exclusively windows centric? Certainly my FT991 can only be updated through a windows PC.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It depends on what you mean. You can operate a Yaesu with a Linux machine. The format of the updates/drivers is up to Yaesu. ;)

3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think they are any more Windows-centric than any other manufacturer - you try updating the firmware in any ICOM or Kenwood via a Linux machine! Like it or not, all manufacturers focus on Windows and all the best ham software runs under Windows. Note that I say this speaking as a software developer who makes his living programming for Linux! I have no objection at all to running Linux in the shack - I've tried it several times over the years (including late last year) and had to admit that the software simply is not there for serious ham radio use. I ended up wiping my shack PC down and loading up Windows 10 using the Windows 7 licence from a defunct laptop.

Martin (G8FXC)

PU2OZT and WD0BCT like this.
  4. KD2L

KD2L Ham Member QRZ Page

Developers want to address the largest audience. That means the Windows PC. The radio hardware doesn't care who talks to it, but if you don't want to roll your own, it means using Windows.

5. M0DDR

That's their mistake. Less than 60% of the PC and tablet market is now windows. If I had know I could not update my rig I would never have bought it. I am now wiser.

I did question Yeasu and they don't see it as a problem. I do wonder if perhaps the OS of their radios is in fact an embedded windows product.

DD5RK likes this.
  6. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Windows virtual machine for the sole purpose of running certain firmware updates and programming radios.

Having dealt with Yaesu firmware updates, all I can say is that I haven't seen a method that convoluted in any other product for at least 15 years. I really love that for my Icoms I can just save the firmware update to an SD card, stick in the radio, and run the update. Most of the newer Yaesu radios have a SD card slot, so they really missed a trick there.

KA3TJI, KC9QBY, KF5RRF and 1 other person like this.
  7. G8FXC

If the inability to update the rig without access to a Windows PC is a deal killer, then I think you'll have to stick with old rigs that do not have updateable firmware! I have had radios from Kenwood, ICOM and Yaesu dating back at least 20 years that could only be updated through Windows. It's nothing to do with the OS of the radio firmware - simply the case that almost everyone has access to a Windows PC and it makes no sense for them to support other OSes.

Martin (G8FXC)

8. M0DDR

Elecraft?

9. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Modern Icoms can be updated from a file on a sneakernetted SD card. Nearly any computer can produce the cards.

Xiegu G90 is updated via XMODEM file transfers on the serial line; terminal emulators on nearly any OS can do this.

Not sure what Kenwood does, but Yaesu is apparently missing out.

DD5RK likes this.
  10. G8FXC

Probably cheaper to stick with Yaesu and buy a cheap Windows PC!

Martin

KU4X, PU2OZT and WD0BCT like this.