Yeasu FTDX560 alignment

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KC3OTC, May 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KC3OTC

KC3OTC Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone have an alignment procedure for a FTDx560 (400, 401) that has a little more detail then the owners manual? I am restoring this transceiver for use as my main rig so I want it to work as well as possible. I replaced the capacitors in the power supply and the hum is much better but I still have low power output. Several of the tuning slugs were shattered so I cleaned out the shrapnel and wax from the coils and now they (the remaining ones) turn smoothly. I have enough slugs for 80, 40, and 20m so I left 10m empty. I haven’t been able to find replacements, suggestions? No luck on YouTube so far either.
    Thanks in advance
    KC3OTC

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

All the years I worked for Yaesu I never saw any Service Manuals, just the normal Owners Manual for each rig. (they finally brought one out for the FT101 just as I was leaving!)

However, the alignment on those rigs is quite straightforward . . . most circuits just need peaking . . . what are you having trouble with?

Also slugs from any other odd coils that are the right size should work OK.

Roger G3YRO

3. KC3OTC

KC3OTC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply. This being my first transceiver repair I was not prepared for the depth of knowledge required to understand the process. The transmitter alignment started with the carrier balance which I could not get to change regardless of adjustment. So on to the next adjustment T203 and again no change. I was losing confidence rapidly so I skipped to the next adjustment L901. Of course the slug was stuck and i broke the ferrite. I then used the soldering iron trick to loosen the rest of them but broke another 5 cores out of the 15. So I stopped and took several days to review the principles of operation, block diagram and schematic. I was ultimately able to align part of the transmitter and part of the receiver. I have no ferrite cores in the 10m in the coils so I concentrated on making the 80, 40 and 20m bands work. I was hoping for something like a YouTube video that would show locations of some of the test points and expected voltages. The picture in the manual was too dark to see where most of the arrows pointed. Thanks for listening to my rant. I made a bunch of rookie mistakes and I learned a lot about my abilities and my test equipment.

Best regards,
    Chris KC3OTC

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I aligned/repaired several of those rigs back in the day, when I worked for Yaesu . . .

Firstly, you really don't need to use any of the test points (unless you have a fault and are trying to find where the signal has stopped getting through) - you just peak each circuit on receive or transmit, as appropriate.

All the ferrite slugs in the coils are sealed - you need to heat them gently with the tip of a small soldering iron before you try and move them, or they will break !

Also, you rarely need to adjust EVERYTHING . . . normally you just have to peak the RX front end, Mixer and Driver circuits when you change the Driver or PA valves. (the way Yaesu write their Handbooks for all their rigs, it's as if you are setting up the rig for the very first time after it's been assembled)

Roger G3YRO