Yeasu FT102 display problem

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by F5TYH, Jul 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. F5TYH

F5TYH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello and 73's
    I've got à problem with my old Yeasu FT102.
    Yesterday I was turning the VFO and suddenly the same segment on all numbers of the display became off.
    I think the problem is perhaps a TC5066 IC driver to change.
    I hope it's not the display to change
    What do you think about ?
    thanks for yours futures responds
    f5tyh

2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at the DC-DC converter supply voltage to the VFD. If not present you'll have no display.

3. KD0RCB

KD0RCB Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be either ....I have an FT102, and I guess I would try some easy things first. With something insulated, gently push or flex the display board, (see if problem occours), and also reseat and clean all connectors and plugs with power off. It could be something as simple as bad connections. Randy.

4. F5TYH

Thanks for your responds. I don't think the DC-DC converter is bad . I've got display execept for the left upper segment on all numbers. 9 is dispayed as 3 and 8 like a reversed 6 as seen in a mirror
    I'll check connexions and solder and check the drivers ICs. I've bought an another ft 102 counter unit on ebay but I prefer repair the original

5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the decoder/driver IC or the circuitry going to it. CAREFULLY check the circuit board for cold solder joints.

Mal, NC4L may be able to help with parts. I have two FT-102s and both displays have held up well - though like you, I bought a spare just in case.

6. F5TYH

Hello , I bought 3 TC5066 ICs. I'm waiting them

7. F5TYH

Hello and 73's. My rig is working fine now. It was (as i thought) only 1 buffer of one TC5066 display's driver IC became in QRT. I've changed the IC