Yeasu FT-991

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by AA0WX, Nov 22, 2015.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. AA0WX

AA0WX Ham Member QRZ Page

For the last time, this radio is going back to Yaesu for repair.
    The internal SWR and PO indicates NO SWR and FULL 50 watts out. With the external meters connected, NO SWR and 1.5 watts out.
    I cannot recommend this radio for anything at this point.
    This last issue came after the last firmware update.
    The radio was switched to UHF and during a qso at 45 watts, my signal report from the other end slowly went from 59 to 00.
    Dont get this radio until CONSISTENTLY great reports of everything being fixed. Firmware, hardware, everything.
    As far as all band, all mode I will have to look at another brand. Sorry Yaesu, you tried and failed.

2. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that maybe you just got a bad radio. Everyone I know who has one is very happy with it.

3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last month I bought a new FT-991. Gave it a thorough testing, and everything works and works well. Full power on all bands, as measured internally and with an external watt-meter. No problems at all.

Now maybe you got a lemon. But I am guessing for any major manufacturer, like Yaesu, that is rare. I have three other Yaesu transceivers, and no problems there either. I also have or have had rigs made by numerous other major manufacturers, and the problems have been very few and far between.

PA3KC likes this.
  4. N4CFR

N4CFR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been looking at the FT991 and the FT857D I am trying to justify spending the extra mony on the 991. My biggest concern is the touch screen I just wonder how long it will hold up and the replacement cost

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had the older FT990 for a few years and love it. I am amazed at one number higher in the model number can be a vastly different kind of radio !?!?

6. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I kinda would like a all in one rig, but stories like this scare me, and I have heard them from several sources.

7. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am curious to see if Yaesu spins off a replacement for 817 and 857 from it as 897 it replaced shared circuitry with them. If they did that I might take a serious look at one that replaces 817 which is long overdue a upgrade.