Yeasu 450D digital troubles

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by W7JSS, Oct 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W7JSS

W7JSS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well there's something I don't understand. My digital TX isn't working. My set-up gives me a hot mic instead of TX from computer to SCU-17..not sure how it's supposed to work......ugh...
    I have a FT450D hooked up to a SCU-17 and a PC (running Win7) and a free copy of HRD which is rig control for WSJT-X. It all seems to run just fine, every thing doing what it's supposed to do except when WSJT-X goes to TX. My power meter shows I'm transmitting but I noticed my needle bumped when I touched my mic so I picked it up and put it over the computer speaker and it showed that the mic was hot, giving me lots of needle movement on my tuner's SWR/power meter.

I thought the computer would rout the TX through the USB cable to the SCU-17 which would then rout it over to the radio for TX. I've tried disconnecting the mic and then I get no TX at all. The mic needs to be out of the equation, I don't understand how it's supposed to happen.......I'm new at this and anxious to get this right.

If anyone can help please be remedial in your answer. Thanks!!!!

W7JSS

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to switch the mode to digital USB -- I forget what they call it on the 450D. When it is in that mode, it expects audio from the rear port, instead of the microphone.

3. W7JSS

Well there is a data USB mode and the manual says it cuts off the mic, which it does but it also won't transmit in that mode, as there is no needle movement on my tuner's meter. I browsed the manual for RTTY, packet, PSK and AFSK-based data modes and they all use the USB data mode. I can't get it to TX on that mode. It makes all the noise like it's transmitting but no signal on the meter. The WSJT-X program will not show any receive either. I've gone through this, bit by bit, changing settings (in the program) for audio RX and TX and sometimes it actually bumps it off of USB data mode and reverts to just USB mode. Somethings' not right. Beginning to think it's my SCU-17 not working right.

So anyway in the USB data mode there is no tx and no rx no matter my settings within the WSJT-x program.

4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Are your settings correct on the HRD ?

5. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I normally keep my PC audio in/out disabled or muted when I am not using it. However, that sometimes causes me issues when I try to use digital modes and forget to re-enable everything. After 5 or 10 minutes I usually remember to turn the audio back on. So I would recommend double checking your audio levels.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

MY FT-450D is dedicated to digital modes with a SignaLink interface find it works best set for usb and NOT data usb the mic is unplugged realize this may not be a solution if you use the rig for other modes but you might want to give it a try to see if it makes a difference .

7. W7JSS

Thanks K3XR...Just tried USB mode with mic unplugged, it won't tx.
    Drivin me nutz....
    Maybe I should get a SignaLink...well it's not that, it's more like the way the radio is set-up. The only way it is TXing is USB mode via the mic. The Data USB mode cuts off the mic and should TX through the data port, but I get no indication that it's TXing that way.

8. W7JSS

Ok think I got it, (embarrassed to say) it was more a matter of tweaking the power controls on the SCU-17 and the software, and now it appears to be TXing although I can't hear it, it does show on the power meter on my tuner. So now I have the USB data mode running (which turns off the mic), I played with the power settings (both on the radio and the SCU-17 and the software), I set the radio to 50w, the SCU is set barely on and the power setting on the software is about 4th increment from the bottom of the slider. That gives me about 25-30 watts. Still no contacts after a couple hours of TX, but it appears to be running right. Will also try K3XR's solution after a while and see what happens with the power settings.

9. W7JSS

Well thanks all for your help....I've played with it for quite a while (many hours TXing) with no reply. It appears to be working, I've switched my settings in the WSJT-X program from USB to Data/Pkt to see if that would make a difference but still nothing (no reply) so far.

I do show up on PSK reporter...not so sure what that means as I've made no contacts.

W7JSS

10. KD9ILK

KD9ILK Subscriber QRZ Page

PSK reporter is fed it's data thru your computer.