YANH - Yet another new HAM

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by wil, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. wil

wil Guest

Hello all, passed some exams this weekend (extra) and am waiting on my call sign. The suspense is killing me. :D

Figured I'd go ahead and sign up to say hello, just occurred to me that I might have to re-register to change my username to my call sign when it arrives.

Anyway my name is Wil and I'm in the Bay Area in Northern California. I'm part of the OHV community here and the good folks from the Rubicon Trail Foundation put together classes and test sessions to get more HAM's out on the trail. I'm glad they gave me the opportunity to learn about radio communications, it's fun stuff. I've got a feeling my bank account is in some serious trouble! :p

2. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to the hobby, Wil. Hope that ham radio turns out to be an enjoyable adjunct to your OHV activity. I also hope that your dusty trail into amateur radio isn't the only aspect of the hobby that you explore. Satellites, meteor scatter, digital modes, CW, slow scan TV, DXing, contesting, "fox hunting", and moon bounce are just a few ways to play with radio when weather keeps you close to home.

If questions arise about choosing a radio, mobile installations, or whatever, the Q & A forum is the place to go for answers. Have fun & 73.

Gary, K9ZMD/6
    Palmdale, CA

3. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats Will.

Don't worry about re-registering when your call is issued.
    Just drop us a note in the DxHelper forum and we will
    get everything fixed up for you.

73 and Welcome to QRZ

4. wil

wil Guest

Oh, very nice. Thank you!

I suppose a little more about myself...

By trade I'm a network engineer / unix admin and I cut my teeth on PBX's, VM and telecom close to 10 years ago. I've always had a lot of fun with communications so I've got a feeling that I'll figure out some way to completely overdue something. :D

I've been listening for about a month at this point armed with a hands free unit (th-f6a). There are some pretty fun things that go on locally that I had no idea about. Looking forward to joining in and seeing where this goes.

73. -wil

5. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Your bank account could be in SERIOUS trouble LOL :D Mine is in perpetual danger of melting every time I get the new HRO or AES catalog.

And as for OHV use, good deal. My wife and I are very active in both full vehicle off roading and using out ATVs. We have some decent tracts of ranch property that are in the middle of nothing. We commonly rely on the radio to not only make it more fun, but be our link to the world. Cell does not work and we may be in there for a week at a time.

On our 4 wheelers I have installed mounted 1/4 w 2 meter setups. Just a side note, use large CB style whips and them drill out a golf ball and glue it on top of the whips. It prevents you from poking your eyes out and the whip will never break. ;) We also go on large trips with 6 or more vehicles and all of us are hams. Trips into the Black Hills of SD or into Moab UT are more fun when we can all talk reliably. For a time, many of the other folks used CBs but on a busy trail section in a comp, it may be impossible to find a clear channel.

Our full sized vehicle has (along with the usual compliment of 2 meter stuff) a full HF screwdriver setup. It handles most stuff with ease but when the trees get too tight or the rocks too big, the antenna comes off with a huge 1/4 turn release.

Have fun with the Ham radio hobby. Remember, it is a great HOBBY and should be treated as such (IMO) but it also has great utilitarian aspects for outdoors folks. Both can come together to make your woods adventures fun and slightly safer.

Brad

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome !

I've never done the Rubicon, and it's been a long time since I parted ways with my last real off-roader, but I know that part of the world to a large extent. John C. Fremont left a cannon up there someplace and my brother and I have been looking for it. Let me know if you find the cave it's in.

You will probably want HF for use in the Sierras - 40 or 60 meters in the daytime and 75 or 160 at night. That will get a message out of the deepest canyon. VHF/UHF is strange in the Sierras. Below a certain elevation, you won't work anything. Above it, you will be able to work repeaters in the Bay Area.

7. wil

wil Guest

Great to see some 4x4 enthusiasts here. :cool:

Got my call sign today, now I need to start the learning process.

Thanks again!

73, -wil.
    AF6SS

8. W9MMS

W9MMS Guest

CONGRATS on your ticket!
    I don't know which of the two is less expensive, Ham Radio or 4x4 (Jeep) together they'll leave a big dent in the pocket book. :D

9. KF5DEA

KF5DEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome. I to am fairly new to the HAM world. I got my technician at the end of Sept. Now I'm going for my General on the 14th of Nov then my extra soon after. I to love wheeling and it seems like every hobby I get into is an expensive one. Haven't figured that one out yet. :D I love the fact that you can really reach out and touch someone with these things. I got introduced into it by a fellow four wheeler.

10. AF6SS

AF6SS Guest

I'm gonna go broke somehow anyway, may as well have some fun! :D

Wow, wheelers everywhere! :cool:

Actually I'm amazed at how well these radios work. I've been hanging out on a couple of repeaters thinking they must have been pretty close, come to find out they're 20 miles away. Wow, and that's with just a tiny handheld.

Good luck on the General and Extra!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.