Yaesu's New Charger for FT-60R

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6LCS, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4FLH

K4FLH Ham Member QRZ Page

Good news for me. The Ni MH original battery in my FT60R is reaching the end of it's life. I hope "they" get it released sooner than later.

2. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... The Li-on ones far out perform the NiMH ones, in longevity of operation, and life of battery ...

I just love it when one's first-hand experience is contrary to published studies ... (grin) We're supposed to achieve about twice as many total discharge-charge cycles from properly-cared-for NiMH packs versus Li-Ion packs. But your experience is entirely different ...

And so it goes ...

3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

It made me happy when I unpacked my ft 60r. And I have gotten great life out of the wallwart for my ft 270r

4. AB0RE

AB0RE Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't speak for the Yaesu packs, but with the Icom IC-T70A the Li-on packs are lighter, higher capacity, and have a more consistent voltage over their discharge cycle. Additionally, it's perfectly okay to partially discharge a Li-on and then put it back on the charger to "top it off", a practice that is discouraged with NiMH batteries by many in the industry due to the dreaded "memory effect". (Going this route always ensures your battery is charged and you don't have to haul around an extra battery.) Life's too short to be a slave to our batteries - even if the service life is shorter with Li-on the extra performance is well worth the cost.

5. K4IRC

K4IRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was pleasantly surprised when I received my new FT-60 from HRO today and found the SBH-13 Desktop Charger as part of the package. I have two other Yaesu HTs that use the same battery type. Last year I bought two 1800 mAhr FNB-V94 batteries and I expect they will charge very well in the SBH-13. It looks to me like Yaesu is doing a lot of right things for hams.

Bill Woody K4IRC

6. K6LCS

>> ... I bought two 1800 mAhr FNB-V94 batteries and I expect they will charge very well in the SBH-13 ...

The FNB-V94 packs I know are also NiMH - and, yes - they should charge well with the SBH-13. Let us know if the three contacts line up the same on the 'V94 and your charger as do the stock FNB-83, would you please?

7. K6LCS

Yaesu Parts - US is now offering the SBH-13 charging cradle - to be used with your
    PA-48B/C/U 12VDC 500mAH wall wart - for sale.

Part Number: CB6474001
    Description: SBH-13 ASSY
    $24.28 each

The fine print: Price does not include tax (only if applied to your state) and/or freight cost. If you wish to purchase this/these item(s), please contact
    Yaesu parts via email or call their office at 1-714-827-7600 ext 4. Monday thru Friday between the hours of 8:00AM thru 5:00PM Pacific Time.

Clint K6LCS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.