Yaesu's New Charger for FT-60R

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6LCS, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yaesu is now shipping FT-60R radios with the SBH-13 desktop
    charger and 500mAH AC wall wart.

From Yaesu's product insert, it appears to be an intelligent NiMH pack charger.

So - contrary to rumors - it is NOT a "direct replacement" for the
    multi-chemistry intelligent VAC-370 system. Nor is it just a "dumb,
    convenience-only" desktop charger.

Using the previous AC chargers (constant rate, unintelligent wall warts), we
    should expect 300-500 complete discharge-charge cycles (more if you have proper
    timing of the charge set up ... less if you leave your FT-60R attached for more
    than 10 hours a lot of times).

With an intelligent charger for NiMH - one that senses heat and has a charging
    algorithm designed for NiMH - we can expect about 75o complete discharge-charge
    cycles.

SOURCES: Yaesu Musen publication 1305M-OY, telephone discussions with Yaesu-USA,
    Anaheim HRO, Cadex.com.

Clint K6LCS
    909-241-7666

2. W1MTW

W1MTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Will this be able to be purchased as an accessory for existing FT-60 owners?

3. K6LCS

It is not listed - yet - at the U.S.' largest dealer ... But I am working on getting news for us on this.

If there's a possibility of you using Li-Ion packs on your FT-60R (or any other rig with same chassis/battery config), the VAC-370
    is a dual-chemistry (NiMH and Li-Ion) intelligent charger, Yaesu advised me. This new SBH-13 is geared for NiMH packs.

ZL1BAK likes this.
  4. M0DCD

M0DCD Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT60 has been around some time and mine has given good service, but I don't think they'd be upgrading (I'm not sure about it being) to Li-Ion as it'd need the charge electronics to be changed inside the radio. I have a CD-29 drop in charger and a 900mA wall wart to go with it that I bought after having the radio for a while, that one being an automatic one and useful to be able to charge the battery out of the radio or just by dropping it in the unit. The original charger I found rather tricky as being a dumb one you couldn't tell how well it was charged.
    I have retired one battery pack after a good nine year's worth of use, so I would suggest that they are a decent quality to start with.

5. K6LCS

>> ... Li-Ion as it'd need the charge electronics to be changed inside the radio ...

Not the case at all. Charge regulation circuitry for many consumer-grade Li-Ion packs is built into the pack itself. Using and properly charging Yaesu's Li-Ion packs on an FT-60R requires absolutely no change to the radio at all.

Clint K6LCS

6. N0DNE

N0DNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not go with a Vertex FNB-67 Li 2300 mAh battery with a 300b charger? Can charge a completely dead battery in 3 hours.

Joel, n0dne

7. K6LCS

There are all sorts of Yaesu/Vertex "alternative" packs and chargers for this battery type. But what Yaesu has done with the "base" model of the FT-60R is keep the price amazingly low for what you get in a 2M/440 HT ... PLUS now adding a charger system that should allow us to achieve darned near 2X the total number of discharge-charge cycles from the included NiMH pack (versus just charging with a constant-current, dumb charger). This rig was a marvelous bargain when it debuted at Dayton in 2004, and remains a tremendous product today.

PS - I posted the one-page data sheet on the SBH-13 on the DOCS page at http://www.k6lcs.com for those interested.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
    909-241-7666 - Cell

8. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to be replacing my pack with an Li-on. Talked to the supplier, and they say the same charger will charge the Li-on just fine.

9. K6LCS

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with a Li-Ion pack? Long periods of time between use of the radio? Cold weather conditions? Capacity? I ask because for me, I prefer NiMH because I should get about 2X the total number of discharge-charge cycles than Li-Ion ... and none of the Li-Ion benefits "sell" me for the FT-60R.

10. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used HTs with NiMH and with Li-on. The Li-on ones far out perform the NiMH ones, in longevity of operation, and life of battery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.